cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Block Diagrams or Flow Charts

ptc-2659482
1-Newbie

Block Diagrams or Flow Charts

Is there any tool for drawing text boxes that have outlines? Thanks in advance
15 REPLIES 15

The click and hold on the text tool in the palette window. Select the "Drawing of text inside a rectangle" tool.

Thanks for your reply I selected that, but there was no outline. I'm trying to figure out how to turn that on... The attached image shows rectangle that I drew with text overlayed (Dynamic control system) and one I made "drawing text inside rectangle" (jhgfjhg) I was hpoing to find a text beox with all the text centered and aligned...

You could do this with a macro. Have the user enter the text desired, and then draw a box around the text using a predetermined border. Not perfect, but it could likely get the job done.

I can do it manually well enough, I was just hoping there was a way to automatically make the text fit, similar to auto-shapes in powerpoint...

A macro would make it automatic. Outside of that, you might try working with the text box element tool and then the text element background property. I tried it and came close to what you need, but it does not appear to allow the centering of the text vertically.

I'm still learning the basics, so macros are out of my league. And I didnt realize I had to put it in preview mode to see the outline of the text box. I tried that several times, and I was really confused. But without centering, I'm back where I started. While I'm at it, and you are being so helpful, can I ask if there is a way to make a callout with multiple lines of text? Thanks for all your help so far...

Multi-line callouts are not possible. It is an enhancement, but I've not received an expected implementation date. The built in callouts, while useful, are pretty limited in their ability. We ended up creating all our callouts manually to address the multi-line need.

Forgot to ask. Will your text boxes follow any standard? Meaning, will they all have three lines of text, or will the number of lines vary?

They will vary a greatly. 1 to 6 lines at least.I have come up with a standard height for different numbers at 6 pt arial; 3 for one line, 6 for two lines etc, but its still up to me to center the text...

I've attached a macro that does most of what you want. It uses whatever font you currently have selected and the line currently selected. It can be expanded to automatically do that, but this should get you started. In the macro, on line 22, there is a variable called "Spacing" that determines the spacing between the text and the surrounding box. I set it at 1 mm to start. You'll likely want to fiddle with the number until it suits your needs. If you have questions, let me know.

Awesome, thanks! But, how do I get that macro into IsoDraw?

Rename the file to have an .ism extension. Copy the file to one of two locations, depending on your needs. This location is only available to you. -- C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\PTC\IsoDraw\Macros This location is available to all users on your computer. -- Find out where IsoDraw is installed. There is a macro folder there that you can put the file in. You'll then need to close IsoDraw and then restart it. It will then be available in the Macro menu or you can make a custom toolbar to display it. IMPORTANT!: Do not put it in BOTH places. You'll receive a duplicate error when you start IsoDraw up.

that works great! thanks again

Trevor, just one more question. The box that is created has about .5 mm extra space on the bottom. Is there an easy way to adjust that? I didnt see anything in the text that addressed that, and I figure it has somtthing to do with the text properties in IsoDraw. Not a big deal tho... And thanks again

Go to line 72 of the macro. It currently reads, "BoxBottom = BottomCoord - Spacing". So it takes the bottom of the text box extent, and then goes down the distance specified by the Spacing variable. Change this line to, "BoxBottom = BottomCoord - Spacing + .5". This does the same, but then adds .5mm to the point to close up the gap.
Top Tags