cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Cross reference a chapter

bfriesen
17-Peridot

Cross reference a chapter

In my ditamap I have pressed enter and created a chapter. In a new topic I want to create a cross reference to go and see this chapter. How do I do it as everything I have cross referenced so far has been a standalone topic. I do not see the chapter heading in my resource manger screen.

Bryon

3 REPLIES 3
pnagai
4-Participant
(To:bfriesen)

Hi again Byron,

I don't DITA but as I suggested in my other reply ... subscribe to Adepters. Someone there will be able to help for sure.

Hi Bryon,

You can't <xref> from a topic to a chapter tag that doesn't reference a topic file.

For example:

<chapter navtitle="Getting Started"></chapter>

In fact you can't <xref> from a topic to any tag in a map or bookmap.

You can however, <xref> from a topic to another topic that also happens to be a chapter.

For example:

<chapter href="c_GettingStarted.dita" navtitle="Getting Started"></chatper>

You can create an <xref> to the c_GettingStarted.dita topic and that will create a reference to the chapter. This is the only way I've found to do it.

Unfortunately, this prompts some writers to create a topic that's just a title (or just a title and meaningless intro) to act as the placeholder for the chapter. I wouldn't suggest having topics like that that because it creates more files to maintain and keep track of.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have been creating blank topics so I can have the ability to reference a chapter heading currently, I agree not a good way to go. I have placed a support call to PTC and had a webex with one of the support guys, hoping that they can fix this as the program is supposed to be so strong in linking, but seems that they missed some of the easier stuff. I will try your suggestion. Most of the time I will make the reference in a different chapter so I will see if this can work for me.

Thanks

Bryon

Top Tags