cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

replicating/modifying a _ufe in stylesheet

JSkog
5-Regular Member

replicating/modifying a _ufe in stylesheet

Hello,

We had a stylesheet created for our company. Due to recent changes to our formatting requirements, one of two published pages in our book needs to display different content. It seemed the best approach was to copy an existing ufe (_ufe:SignatureBlock). I was able to do so in Styler, and rename the copy as desired (_ufe:SignatureLOEPBlock).

However, I can't find anyway to properly edit the markup to point at the new ufe. I checked in the forums and on the web, but couldn't locate a solution. Thanks for any help,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ClayHelberg
17-Peridot
(To:JSkog)

How are you editing the stylesheet? If you use the Styler UI, it should be pretty easy, open the Generated Content item you want to modify and choose from the menus Insert->User Formatting Element->_ufe:LOEPSignatureBlock.

ClayHelberg_0-1701807605318.png

From your screenshot, it looks like you might be simply opening the stylesheet in Arbortext Editor as a generic XML file and trying to modify it that way. That's not recommended, since the regular editor won't understand a lot of the semantics of stylesheet markup when editing that way. Also, elements like UFEs won't appear in the usual "insert element" UI widgets, so you would have to resort to using an "insert tag" command or something similar, which may be why you are getting unexpected results. Everything will be easier if you edit in Styler:

ClayHelberg_1-1701807798851.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ClayHelberg
17-Peridot

Hi Jeff--

It's not 100% clear what you are trying to accomplish here. I guess you have one page where you want the old UFE to apply, and another similar page, where you want a similar but modified UFE to apply instead. Is that right? If so, there are a couple of ways you could approach it:

1. If there is markup context you could use to conditionalize the output, you could add that to the original UFE and then you wouldn't need the new one, something like this:
    ClayHelberg_0-1701802878842.png

except you would have _ufe:SignatureBlock with conditions for something like "_ufe:SignatureBlock in toc" and "_ufe:SignatureBlock in loep" or whatever markup context determines which variant you want to use.

2. You could set up parallel page definitions, with parallel page regions, where one uses the old UFE and the other uses the new UFE in its gentext. So you'd need to duplicate the page definition and the page region containing the gentext, and then set your pageset to include both pages
JSkog
5-Regular Member
(To:ClayHelberg)

Hi Clay,

Yes, you are correct as to my intent. I believe the first method you suggest would work, but we have pursued something more like your second method, I created a copied/renamed Element ("LOEPSignatureBlock"), PageRegion ("LOEP_Signature_Block"), GeneratedContent  ("LOEP_Signature_Block") and changed the PageRegionReference. to "LOEP_Signature_Block".

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to add "_ufe:SignatureLOEPBlock" to the stylesheet to replace "_ufe:SignatureBlock". I attached a screenshot with some comments.

Thanks for your help! Please let me know if there are any other details I can provide.

Regards,

Jeff

ClayHelberg
17-Peridot

How are you editing the stylesheet? If you use the Styler UI, it should be pretty easy, open the Generated Content item you want to modify and choose from the menus Insert->User Formatting Element->_ufe:LOEPSignatureBlock.

ClayHelberg_0-1701807605318.png

From your screenshot, it looks like you might be simply opening the stylesheet in Arbortext Editor as a generic XML file and trying to modify it that way. That's not recommended, since the regular editor won't understand a lot of the semantics of stylesheet markup when editing that way. Also, elements like UFEs won't appear in the usual "insert element" UI widgets, so you would have to resort to using an "insert tag" command or something similar, which may be why you are getting unexpected results. Everything will be easier if you edit in Styler:

ClayHelberg_1-1701807798851.png

JSkog
5-Regular Member
(To:ClayHelberg)

Ah, I see! The problem I had while in Styler was I didn't know how to select the Generated Content view.

JS_8945562_0-1701865874578.png

Once that list populated, I was easily able to add the new _ufe element to my markup.

I still have a lot to learn, but this makes sense to me now. Thank you so much for your help!

Regards,

Jeff

ClayHelberg
17-Peridot

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped!

Top Tags