cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

use tiv out of scope?

cleccese
6-Contributor

use tiv out of scope?

Is there a way to use a tiv out of its scope? I tried to do a LEP for the entire document by using the Chapter LEPs, which uses a tiv scoped to chapter. Even if I save the tiv to a tdv, it still gets flagged as out of scope. I was wondering if there was a way to save a tiv (or "freeze" the contents) to another variable so the scope would be irrelevant. If I delete the scope, the chapter LEPs don't work correctly, and I haven't figured out how to force a reset on the tiv.

4 REPLIES 4

Probably others on the list can give more detailed advice on this, but I thought the usual approach for this type of thing was two-stage. First you save your chapter LEP information out to disk with a usetext/userule="1". Next, you compile an LEP for the entire document by combining and composing all of the chapter LEP files. Glue to the two PDFs together et voila! 🙂

-Gareth

Caroline,

A tiv requires a scope. It is not a tiv without a scope.

Also, a tiv does not need a <reset> category to reset it. It resets itself for each new scope.

Note that a tiv can have more than one scope. For example, toc.app could have scope="introduction discussion conclusion".

I think you will need to code the document LEP in a different way.

Good luck!
Suzanne

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Chapter LEP", but we create a LEP for the document which lists the change level for each "chunk" of a book, such as a chapter. Every chapter begins on a recto page and ends on a verso page. Our page model has two recto pages: a "First" recto page (recto1) and all other recto pages. Every recto1 page saves the page number of the recto1 page as the first half of the LEP entry (e.g. Page 4-1 through - ) and every verso page, including blank pages, saves the page number of the verso/blank page as the second half of the LEP entry. So you end up with Page 4-1 through 4-14 for the LEP entry. This is a relatively easy and simple way to automatically create a LEP using FOSI only. However, the down side of this is that, if you change one word in a Chapter, you must re-release the entire chapter.
If this is not what you want, then feel free to ignore this email.
cleccese
6-Contributor
(To:cleccese)

Thank you all for your useful responses! Ed, each "chunk" has its own LEP, and then there is a LEP for the entire document which lists each chapter chunk. Anyway, now I have more things to try, because I cheated and just hardcoded most of it.

Top Tags