cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to make Bicycle using Pro Engineer Wildfire 5.0

ptc-3035651
1-Newbie

How to make Bicycle using Pro Engineer Wildfire 5.0

How to make the major components for a bicycle in Pro Engineer Wildfire 5.0?Is there any guide?

13 REPLIES 13

Hello and welcome to PlanetPTC!

I received your email and saw that you posted your question here as well. I'm sure you'll receive an answer soon, but I'd also like to introduce you to CamiloParraPalacio. He has created a wooden bike and may be able to assist with some of the other components or even share his files with you.

Good luck!

-Dan

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:DanMarotta)

A wooden bike! That's about as useful as a ribbon in a CAD program.

gward, can you help model a few bicycle components?

at this stage something is better than nothing.I am keen for any help at all.I am at this moment of time looking for bicycle design but need guidance for sprocket design in particular.

I will surely look into the wooden bicycle

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-3035651)

Check out Boston Gear you can download sprockets and either modify them or give you some input on designing them, I am sure they aren't exactly the same as most bike, but it give you something to look at.

You can also config and download chain if you don't care about it being parametric on 3D Content Central search for roller chain. That is how I made attached picture.

Also check out Turbo Squid for various bike models (I have not looked but I bet they are there).

SPROC2.JPG

One simple bike in Mathcad:

http://communities.ptc.com/videos/2101

If anyone is interested, a simple bike, created in Creo can be found at the following link ("How to Model Almost Anything" manual):

http://www.ptc.com/company/community/schools/projects.htm#creo

http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=157747

Pic_1.PNG

What types of componets are you looking to make? I work in the bicycle industry and would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Hey Ross,

Thanks for replying to my post

I am looking at belt and chain in combination with sprockets and how to make them in pro Engineering?How to make other components would be useful but in particular i am looking forward to those i have mentioned.

Arshid,

Modeling a real chain between multi-speed gears is a relatively difficult task - it is something I have wanted to do for a while but never can justify the time required. Most multi speed gear sets have lots of added features along with a traditional tooth profile. In most cases the extra geometry or modifications to the tooth profiles is proprietary to different manufacturers.

For a single speed set up things get much easier. The sprockets tend to be more standard tooth profiles - you should be able to look it up in a machinery's handbook. based on the type of chain you are using this will dictate the required tooth dimensions. For modeling a chain my approach would be to build a guide curve and then assembly the individual chain components to each other and then tether them to the guide curve - this would allow the chain to move along the guide curve if your intention is to eventually animate the entire assembly.

I do not have much experience with belts or belt specific cogs. My first reference location would be the machinery's handbook again and see if there is enough information there to get you started.

Hope this helps.

In an attachment you can find the components of the chain and sprocket for Pro/E.

Pic_2.PNG

Major components of a simple single speed hybrid-style bike, or a full suspension mtn bike, or a carbon fiber road bike with up to 30 gear combinations, or ...???? There are almost as many different kinds of bikes as there are cycling engineers. And if you simply want to 'make the major bike components' for a visual result, you can probably do it all with simple extrusions or sweeps & blends. I'm excluding derailleurs and those proprietary gear tooth designs from the 'major components', although I will grant you it's awfully hard to get very far without those 'minor components'. But if you actually want to really design a bike, you will need to include Mechanisms and Mechanica into your list of Pro/E tools. And of course I would include the Behavioral Modeling tools so you can make sure the bike performs up to your design goals.

Sounds like a great project though. I'm jealous!!!

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags