cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

New to creo: Revolving a solid

dbolin
1-Newbie

New to creo: Revolving a solid

Hello all,

I'm in the process of creating a tyre rim using the revolve tool. When I go to revolve the rim cross section into a solid, I seem to be only able to revolve to a certain thickness. At a depth of 5mm which I want, it can only revolve to both sides of the sketch which I don't want. To revolve it to only one side I have to reduce the thickness to under 3mm. Why is this and is there a way to fix it?

The first pic below is what I want it to do. Revolve on the inside edge to a depth of 5mm but as you can see it can't do it.

revolve inside.PNG

The next picture is of what it is capable of doing at 5mm. Revolving on both sides of the sketch. Why can it revolve on both sides to 5mm but not on only one side??

both sides.PNG

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, how about that?  I definitely would not consider myself "new to Creo" (or at least not to Pro/E ) but I never knew you could revolve and thicken at the same time!  I had to let it change to surface, then manually change it back to solid to find the option though - not obvious!

Anyway, I'm guessing that the reason it won't thicken above 3mm on the inside is that you have a minimum radius in your profile of about 3mm with the concave side inside.  If you thicken an R3 inwards by 3mm, you end up with an R0 (the 5 thick both sides is 2.5mm in and 2.5mm out, hence it works).  If you try to thicken inwards by more than 3mm, the resulting radius becomes negative, which is not possible.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Well, how about that?  I definitely would not consider myself "new to Creo" (or at least not to Pro/E ) but I never knew you could revolve and thicken at the same time!  I had to let it change to surface, then manually change it back to solid to find the option though - not obvious!

Anyway, I'm guessing that the reason it won't thicken above 3mm on the inside is that you have a minimum radius in your profile of about 3mm with the concave side inside.  If you thicken an R3 inwards by 3mm, you end up with an R0 (the 5 thick both sides is 2.5mm in and 2.5mm out, hence it works).  If you try to thicken inwards by more than 3mm, the resulting radius becomes negative, which is not possible.

I think I get what you saying Jonathan. And indeed I do have radii of 3mm in the sketch.

Thanks so much.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags