cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

[Q] Methods of selecting

David_M
5-Regular Member

[Q] Methods of selecting

All too often, Pro/E WF5 won't let me quickly select what I want. I can choose "geometry" and sometimes "surfaces" and "curves" but not "faces" or "edges", which I needs just as often. I'm forced to either cycle through all kinds of geometry or use the old "pick from list". I just want the very basic ability to filter sensible things, more specific than "geometry". Can anyone tell me if this is possible and how to do it if so?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
s.iyer
1-Newbie
(To:David_M)

There is a video on "Selection" by Leo Greene. The below link might help.

http://www.e-cognition.net/pages/SelectionTips.html

You can use the filter which is positioned at top right corner of Pro/E wf 5.0 and Creo Elelments/Pro 5.0

David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:David_M)

Thanks for the video link, but it doesn't address my question, which is specifically a filter to distinguish between faces and edges.

Hi David...

You're limited to using the smart filter or using some of the advanced selection techniques highlighted in the Leo Greene video. There is no way to set the filter to something "finer" than simply "geometry".

If you need to reselect certain edges or surfaces often... or would find it helpful to gather them once and then "label" them for reuse later, you can try the Reference Feature option. This can be found under Insert>Datum>Reference

You'll need to have the config.pro option logical_objects set to "yes" to do this. You will also have to go to Tools>Model Player, select the "Regenerate Features" checkbox, rewind to the beginning of the part, and step through the model before the Datum Reference feature will activate. Once you've done these steps, you can play around with this feature. It's not really what you're asking for but it might be helpful.

The only other option would be to use the Find Tool to create some type of rule to select the surfaces or edges you want. For example, you could choose a feature and pick all surfaces which were a "child" of the surface you chose. Again, this isn't quite what you want but I don't believe you have any other options.

Good luck!

-Brian

Thank you Brian, always wondered what that "Reference" feature meant. I was toooooo lazy to explore !!!

David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:BrianMartin)

Thanks Brian, that's really interesting about the reference features.

Do you know if there is a way to toggle selection between "visible only" and "the hundred thousand other things you can't see"?

Thanks

Hi David...

By "can't see", I'm assuming you mean hidden lines (as in hidden behind other surfaces). If you suppress items or hide them they'll be removed from the possible selection list. But there's no way to tell Pro/E to only pick the surfaces "on top" and not bore down through the model to see the myraid other edges, surfaces, datums, etc. that live there.

I like both ideas, though! There SHOULD be a way to click a button and have Pro/E restrict selections to "visible" items only. There SHOULD be a way to drag a lasso around a portion of the model and have Pro/E grab all surfaces within that loop. Animation packages have this type of selection. Surely the PTC gurus could enhance their selection tools, too?

I suspect that over time we'll see these tools come into existence. Right now, without some type of add-on toolkit (or perhaps java) application, we don't have that ability.

I always hate giving definitive "no"-type answers. They bother me because I don't like being defeated and "no" is the ultimate defeat. Maybe I've missed some ultra clever way to do what you're asking... but everything I know tells me the tools you need do not exist.

Perhaps someone else will have a relevant suggestion?

Take care...

-Brian

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags