cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Riddle me this PTC.....

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Riddle me this PTC.....

So, I have no end to the problems in trying to check in dwgs/models. Especially since Windburn wants to check out and change EVERYTHING, instead of only the objects I actually change. From the Windburn screen I had no end to the problems, and 2 full days of wasted time and countless re-boots. Then, I try and check in the file while in Pro/E, and it (supposedly) worked quickly and easily. Huh???

Why is the Pro/E side of it a LOT less problematic? More like the way it SHOULD be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Frank...

Your Windchill environment must be set up wrong. Although I often use the checkin tools directly from Creo, I do not have any issues with the workspace checkins.

You have multiple things going on. First, when objects are being modified even when you didn't touch them, there are some known causes and solutions for this. I'd need to discuss this more to figure out what's exactly happening but in 95% of the cases, I can fix this.

If you stick to simple interactions with Windchill, you should have few problems. You need to keep up on workspace maintenance. This means keeping your cache cleared, emptying your Event Manager (or setting it to self-clear), updating out-of-date objects, and occasionally synchronizing with your Commonspace server. In addition, you should cycle your workspaces at least once or twice a month. You don't want to keep using the same one for months... that's just inviting trouble.

I suspect with a few tweaks, we can get Windchill working to where it's not such a big obstacle to your work. I deal with a host of user issues on Windchill every day. Most of those problems are due to the user not interacting with the system "correctly". I realize that's a loaded term... if the procedure for doing a certain action is convoluted or confusing, it's tough to know what the "correct" way to use the system is.

A small portion of the problems are due to configuration issues. An even smaller bit is due to administration issues... for example an Oracle server that's not properly tuned or optimized... or a Windchill application server with too little RAM or too few method servers running. I can help with this, too... but we'll probably need to talk offline. I doubt I can work through all of this in emails.

Get in touch with me using my work email and let's discuss this further. I'm sure I can help alleviate some of the problems you're seeing and ease your frustration a bit.

Thanks!

-Brian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

If you don't want to get burned, don't play with fire. No 'chill here, thank goodness.

Hi Frank...

Your Windchill environment must be set up wrong. Although I often use the checkin tools directly from Creo, I do not have any issues with the workspace checkins.

You have multiple things going on. First, when objects are being modified even when you didn't touch them, there are some known causes and solutions for this. I'd need to discuss this more to figure out what's exactly happening but in 95% of the cases, I can fix this.

If you stick to simple interactions with Windchill, you should have few problems. You need to keep up on workspace maintenance. This means keeping your cache cleared, emptying your Event Manager (or setting it to self-clear), updating out-of-date objects, and occasionally synchronizing with your Commonspace server. In addition, you should cycle your workspaces at least once or twice a month. You don't want to keep using the same one for months... that's just inviting trouble.

I suspect with a few tweaks, we can get Windchill working to where it's not such a big obstacle to your work. I deal with a host of user issues on Windchill every day. Most of those problems are due to the user not interacting with the system "correctly". I realize that's a loaded term... if the procedure for doing a certain action is convoluted or confusing, it's tough to know what the "correct" way to use the system is.

A small portion of the problems are due to configuration issues. An even smaller bit is due to administration issues... for example an Oracle server that's not properly tuned or optimized... or a Windchill application server with too little RAM or too few method servers running. I can help with this, too... but we'll probably need to talk offline. I doubt I can work through all of this in emails.

Get in touch with me using my work email and let's discuss this further. I'm sure I can help alleviate some of the problems you're seeing and ease your frustration a bit.

Thanks!

-Brian

Thanks Brian! I'm in meetings all day, but I'll touch base. I'd been meaning to send you some stuff anyways. Hope you've been well!

Frank,

When I first migrated to Windchill I had the same issue. My solution was to lock all the files when adding files to the workspace. Locking the files prevents any changes to the files solely in that workspace and takes not action on commonspace or any of your other workspaces. As I begin to work in the workspace I'll check out files as I work on them. This prevents files from updating on their own. It's a little more work on the front end but a big time saver overall. This has worked out well and doesn't require any adjustments to the servers or help from an admin.

Regards,

Jim

My question is why does Windburn want to change everything????

Worst. Software. Ever.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags