cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

proper relation syntax to arrange dimensions in table file

creed-4
5-Regular Member

proper relation syntax to arrange dimensions in table file

When dimensions are populated in a table file, I want them smallest to largest.  (Ex. 1.00 x 2.00 x 3.00)  I am unsure how to set up a relation to accomplish this.  I'm using Creo 3.0.  Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

please upload some data. It enables us to better understand your question.

MH

Martin Hanák
creed-4
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

I am attaching a small file which shows the existing relations and parameters.  As noted in the table the dimensions need to be arranged in ascending order.  By switching symbols you can see the 'size cell' is user defined and driven by 'OVERALL'.  A new relations statement needs to be created and I am unsure of the proper syntax that would populate the dimensions in the proper order.

Thanks!

Hi,

1.) OVERALL value is entered manually in every part

pic01.png

2.) OVAL_X, OVAL_Y, OVAL_Z values are extracted from OVERALL using relations

pic02.png

3.) your example model contains table and note

pic03.png

4.) repeat region is sorted using values in DETAIL column

5.) What do you want to achieve ? Maybe you want to show OVERALL value in SIZE column -AND- sort table rows using key1=OVAL_Y, key2=OVAL_Z, key3=OVAL_X ???

MH

Martin Hanák
creed-4
5-Regular Member

Hi,

I should have pointed out the note (in red) below the table was showing the order of the dimensions in the SIZE column I want to achieve.  That is correct that the DETAIL column is sorted.   I do want to sort the OVERALL row to show ascending order of the dimensions.  The current syntax in the relations does not accomplish that.  I know the "sentences" or "equations" need rewritten but I don't know how they should be written.

Thanks in advance

creed

Hi,

to get requested OVERALL value:

• open part
  • open Parameters dialog box
  • change OVERALL value

That's all .

To get proper values OVAL_X, OVAL_Y, OVAL_Z:

• open part
  • open Relations dialog box and expand its Local Parameters section
  • check OVAL_X, OVAL_Y, OVAL_Z values in Local Parameters section
  • if OVAL_X, OVAL_Y, OVAL_Z values are incorrect then change numbers in relations defining OVAL_X, OVAL_Y, OVAL_Z values
  • explanation: OVAL_X=EXTRACT(OVERALL,1,5) ... EXTRACT functions cuts a piece of OVERALL string
    1 means character position in OVERALL string ... 5 means number of characters

MH

Martin Hanák
creed-4
5-Regular Member

Hi,

We use a template to create all of our parts therefore the parameters and relations are already 'plugged' in.  I was hoping for a solution that would calculate the desired outcome without having to change each part parameter and relation individually.  Something on the order of an IFTHEN or >=< statement.  This may not be possible.  As you well know, having multiple parts in an assembly this can be very time consuming to edit each part.

If there are NO relations stipulated for a part, what "order" does Creo 3.0 log the dimensions of a part???  In the file I sent you, I created another rectangle .75 x 1.80 and extruded the height .300.  I ran a ModelCHECK Interactive of the assembly on all levels. "Checked" the i and the green check boxes and clicked the 'Param' tab.  When I reopen the assembly drawing, the table has populated the added rectangle file name, qty, and the size.  The size populated as 1.80 x .30 x 0.75.  I would have thought it would have populated in the order it was created 1.80 x .75 with the extrusion dimension being last.

Thanks in advance.

creed

Hi,

I am not able to answer you question, because I do not know how parameter named OVERALL is filled with value, when you create a new part. I expected that its value is entered manually by user creating new part.

MH

Martin Hanák
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:creed-4)

Perhaps there is a Modelcheck routine to add the information based on model bounding box? For a rectangular prism those would happen to match the dimensions used in making the feature. They would be different if the model is cylinder or some other shape.

You can look at the feature or model info to see the order the dims are added to a model, depending on whether you want the 'little' picture or the 'big' picture.

I'm leaning towards bounding-box and Modelcheck.

If a different order is required, that will require taking apart the initial X x Y x Z, and reassembling the parts in increasing order with a set of relations.

I would look into the code that generated the X x Y x Z string in the first place as it's a genuine pain to handle this within Creo relations. This is a link to a page on extracting a number when the number of digits is already known: Pro Engineer/Convert String to Number using Relations - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags