cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

5-sided machining in Pro/E

GeorgiosLaboura
1-Newbie

5-sided machining in Pro/E

Dear Pro/Gurus,

Recently I faced a problem that I haven't considered it as an issue in the
past.

On a 5-axis c.n.c machine I wanted to machine the 3 sides of a block with
the same coordinate system.

In X-Y plane I would remove the open pocket, and in Y-Z plane (B- , B+) the
two slots.

Apart from surface machining - profile and swarf mill that can be used for
finishing,
none of the rest Pro/e sequences can provide a rough milling in 5 axis.

Not even a face milling.

How can I rough the two opposite slots when Pro/e dos not support volume
milling or surface window in 5 axes?

One would think that I should create and select a different coordinate
system for each side;

But this is a waste of time and more over, risky to do it.

I know NX Unigraphics supports 5-sided machining. (roughing - reroughing
etc. )

Any idea of how can I overcome this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

You create a CYS on each side or face of the part. You then select that CYS for the given NC sequence. The CYS you select is only for tool orientation. The Z direction of the CYS you create must be parallel with the axis of the tool. In your parameters for the given sequence you will see the option for output_coordinate. The default is machine_cys. You want to leave that set to machine_cys. The other option is sequence_cys which would output from the CYS that you just created and not your machine CYS which I assume is you rotational point.

Regards,

Dean

Thanks Dean for your immediate response.

I selected the option machine sys in the parameters file and it actually worked.

Best regards,

Dean Dancer <ddancer@hutchinsoninc.com> wrote:
> You create a CYS on each side or face of the part. You then select that CYS for the given NC sequence. The CYS you select is only for tool orientation. The Z direction of the CYS you create must be parallel with the axis of the tool. In your parameters for the given sequence you will see the option for output_coordinate. The default is machine_cys. You want to leave that set to machine_cys. The other option is sequence_cys which would output from the CYS that you just created and not your machine CYS which I assume is you rotational point.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dean
>
Top Tags