cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

AUTOMATIC DETAILING FILE STEP

Luca_Carraro
12-Amethyst

AUTOMATIC DETAILING FILE STEP

Hi everyone,

I need to do a completely automatic drawing from file step.

I already use various templates but
what I would like to do is this:
1) I import the step
2) I find the dimensions of the box that contains the piece
3) based on the size of the part I decide the format to use and the scale
4) mathematically I detect which are the largest dimensions to establish an orientation of the part and therefore define a "TOP" view which is the starting point of the projections.
5) With the program in detailing I also do the other projections.

I already have experience with TRAIL file generators
for example I made one that opens a list of drawings and creates the pdf and backs it up in a given folder.

What I'm missing is having a command that gives me three variables, x-y-z, for the dimensions of the piece and three other variables, DX-DY-DZ, AX-AY-AZ, which give me the distance and orientation of the piece in way to redefine the step reference with another CS  to use all the views of a default template.

An example in the PDF-JPG.

Thanks to everyone who can share something already done. Greetings Luca Carraro.

4 REPLIES 4
RPN
17-Peridot
17-Peridot
(To:Luca_Carraro)

Check the Output if you save a Creo View .ed file.

N 10 9 0 0 location
V 11 9 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
P 12 1
N 13 12 0 0 bbox
V 14 12 0 0 -0.0555 0 -0.111 0.0555 0.333 0.111 M

Check if you can use this bbox, and see the  Length_Unit!

Maybe this can be used.

Luca_Carraro
12-Amethyst
(To:RPN)

Hi RPN,

sorry but

I don't understand your answer.

Luca

RPN
17-Peridot
17-Peridot
(To:Luca_Carraro)

If you don't want to program, there is no way as far I know to get the BBOX. So open the STEP and save as Creo View to get the .ed file. Here you must parse for the BBOX. And yes, all by trail or mapkeys. The BBOX is a Vector defined by 2 points.

Luca_Carraro
12-Amethyst
(To:RPN)

Hi  RPN,

Many thanks for the information.
But I don't see any connection between the file measurements and the piece measurements.
Aside from it being a long ride, I also have to process 50 files.
What I want is that it must be a command within the relations that returns me the box of the piece, not influenced by external points or curves. And also the orientation of the piece with respect to the default CS.
A greeting Luca.

Top Tags