cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Circle Segment Cutters in Creo NC

razmosis
11-Garnet

Circle Segment Cutters in Creo NC

Hello "additional creo questions" group.

Is it possible to create a circle segment end mill for use in Creo/NC? The relations I know of that define a solid tool don't seem to account for the geometry on this type of cutter.

7 REPLIES 7

I don't know what you mean by "relations" but true, there isn't a predefined cutter type which reflects the geometry you describe. However, if I define a cutter with type "MILLING", I can use the menu option "Edit->Sketch" to draw whatever tool geometry I wish. You define the tool geometry in the same way you would define a revolved section. It's a way to make odd tools like custom keyways, groove cutters, etc.

Ken,

I've tried using the sketcher, but it does not let me select the tool I've created for roughing or surfacing.  I did get it to work in a Trajectory Milling Sequence, but that is not really useful for what I'd try to use it on.

The "relations" I mentioned are required for the use of solid tools.  Basically you would model the cutter, add a CS called TIP to the cutter model and then go through the defining sketch and assign relations (such as  "cutter_diam", "length") through the "properties" of each dimension on the sketch.  My understanding is that the relations are what Creo uses to calculate the path.  If the relations are not correctly assigned to the dimensions of the solid model of the cutting tool, the paths created will not be what you expect.  In effect, if you model a bullnose cutter and do not assign a relation for the corner radius it will cut like a square corner cutter would and not recognize that there is a radius on the solid model cutting tool.

It looks like Hypermill and Mastercam support barrel mills/circle segment cutters. PTC used to have Hypermill as an option, but not for a while. I don't see support for them with Vericut.

This is an interesting read - http://www.coe.org/p/fo/et/thread=26672

About half-way down they talk about the origin of barrel mills and CNC back in the day: timestamp

Thank you, that is an interesting read.

Matt

I just found that Moduleworks also supports them in their 5-axis modules. Creo uses Moduleworks for the CNC simulation but it looks like not for the CNC path generation.

The Moduleworks announcement: https://www.moduleworks.com/ptc-and-moduleworks-develop-integrated-simulation-for-ptc-creo/?lang=en

The PTC part of that announcement seems tone deaf for the Creo CNC community.

I see. I guess I've only ever used those types of cutters for cutting o-ring grooves, or outside trajectory milling. i never tried them on the other types of sequences. Sorry.

Ken,

Don't apologize, we both learned something in the discussion.  This circle segment cutter was something shown to me at a die/mold show.  When I saw it, I was wondering if I could actually use something like that.  It does not sound like it for now anyway.

Thank You,

Matt

Top Tags