cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Inch programs to metric output?

NickMihelich
6-Contributor

Inch programs to metric output?

I would like to switch my milling center to metric but all of the programs we have created and use over the last 10 years are in inch. Is there a easy change that i can use to output older inch based programs to metric? I have tried outputing a CL file and changing the units to mm but the feeds do not change only the length units change.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Nick don't you have to change your postprocessor to output in metric to get the feeds to change?

When I change the post to input inch output metric the feeds do not seem to convert correctly.

Not sure what to do Never tried to switch?

When I use metric tools I just convert to english. I have a bunch of metric solid modeled endmills and ball endmills but all are converted.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:SteveLucas)

I wonder if you create a metric site file that you could load and have it convert all feeds and speeds for you. or a metric start part with a metric site file and do a replace? Not sure... just thinking how to go about it?

The Experts at Austin NC have created a modified post the takes inch CL data and outputs metric G code that works great! If you ever need post processor support these people are amazing.

Good bunch of People there. I took the post training at Austin NC about 10 years ago. The problem is when you only write posts about once every 5 years when you get a new machine you tend to forget what you learned. I now struggle with remembering all the fil stuff and have to ask for help a lot.

Nick, I am assuming you have Inch models, though you only specified Inch code. I currently work with Metric models, inch tooling and run my mill in Inch mode.

Let's assume you are working on an Inch units model. You have too love ProMan for this one. In the parameters settings for each sequence, try setting your feed units to MMPM, with proper coresponding values. When you output the CLData untis to MM, the feed parameters will output correctly.

If you already have previously stored CLData, having your Post do this may be the best solution, but the above method works when programming.

I must add that I have had my share of coversion issues with ProE, as far as Manufacturing is concerned. The CLData in the Show Path window has always been correct. The converted output of the CLData file is where you will catch the bugs. The majority of them have been canned cycles drilling related, with the mosrt recent occurrence involving a sketched tool with a driving coordinate system. These issues took several attempts for PTC to fix.

Whenever converting units, make sure you do a quick check of your G-Code output!

Top Tags