cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Sequence reordering takes time

CC_8466609
6-Contributor

Sequence reordering takes time

In our MFG file we have ~400-600 sequences per operation and doing the reordering of the of the sequence takes time.

To apply these sequences, we used UDFs and in 2-3 clicks the sequences are applied.

Using Process Manager, XML templates with priority options is not a good idea for us, the reason being we have a bunch of custom macros and will take longer to apply in Process Manager.

Are you facing this problem on your MFG file?

Do you have any solution or workaround to improve time during reordering of the sequences?

I understood for other CAD Application reordering is very fast this is why CAM department is looking now for a different CAM software. 

5 REPLIES 5
CC_8466609
6-Contributor
(To:CC_8466609)

Related also to this post, creating and posting the G code file takes even more than 30 minutes.

As a work around we are using a remote computer to calculate the NCL file, but for generating the G code take similar approach and cannot be done on remote computer.

Is it there any way to speed up this time calculation?

hheinze
6-Contributor

I am also very interested in this.

There are companies that speed this up with their own postprocessors - since this command promt thing runs as fast as a "basic" program and not as a c/c++ program could calculate. I am not even talking about multiprocessor calculation.

I am not a programmer but I think this would not even needed to speed things up ten times.

Besides this, I think a pc with high CPU speed would be better than a CPU with many multiple cores.

And besides this, the ncl generation also takes its time..

P.S.:
I see you have got an answer to this already.
https://community.ptc.com/t5/Manufacturing-CAM/Save-time-creating-the-Tap-Gcode-file/m-p/875462#M5260

We also use more than one Creo Sessions. To work and calculate simultaneously. It is also very helpful when a copy and past eoperation (or a group) is complicated. This way we can have open two definitions and compare them.

I don't quite understand your work flow as you have described it, so I may not understand your problem. As a reference, though, with Creo 9 on my relatively new i9 processor with 16G of ram and a typical program size of approximately 150 sequences, drag-and-drop sequence re-ordering per sequence varies from 1-10 seconds depending on distance moved in the tree. The size of the sequence doesn't seem to matter. I don't use udfs since drag-and-drop pasting from other programs seems more convenient. I also don't use process manager or XML templates.

JonathanCook
5-Regular Member

I experience the same problem/issue with CREO taking extensive amounts of time to process my manufacturing (milling) features.  My models tend to be very large, and I am generally frustrated more and more about regeneration time as the model gets larger.  I am at the point where I break up large models into multiple assemblies because regeneration time is so long.  There are so many manufacturing features I desire to put into my manufacturing assembly model but I stop because the regeneration times are to frustratingly too long. 

hheinze
6-Contributor

Another idea (I am having this wait times too, even with much less sequences):
Is your creo doing a save every reordering and regenerating each time?
First, the save is always done and maybe can be disabled:
regen_backup_using_disk no

then, maybe you can disable the automatic regeneration so you just activate it ONCE after rearranging the whole project.

P.S.:

Just another thought:

I think you write the NC out as a whole (one Operatoin, not every sequence)?

(Under Subroutines Tab the "Output Order" Command)

When you arrange your output Order "by tool" and that would be enough, you would not even have to rearrange your sequences.

Or you do it there manual... then there would no wait time..

Top Tags