cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

clime milling whem volume milling.

bjordan
1-Newbie

clime milling whem volume milling.

is there a way to force Creo to climb mill when doing a volume roughing sequence? it seems to go back and forth from conventional and climb when machining.  Also is there a way to keep the tool down in the cut and not have it jump around when cutting?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:bjordan)

Since we don't know what you're cutting, a general comment might be to try the different types of cuts available. If I recall correctly, there is a "spiral" option possible for volume milling, which can likely be further specified to only use CLIMB milling. If you're only cutting a single pocket at a time, this will likely also eliminate the jumping about bit. Further, what I have done in the past is specifically dictate an axis for the tool to use to enter the pocket. That way I can drill a start hole in the piece prior to milling, so I avoid plunging. I don't care if they say it's bottom cutting, I abhor plunge milling, and only use it if I absolutely cannot avoid it.

Another thing I've used that will probably not be popular is the custom trajectory path. With that I can specify the complete motion of the cut. It takes a lot longer to define, but the control it provides can help me to do some odd motions and avoid re-cutting narrow areas, etc.

Presumably this was moved from the windchill area, so hopefully you'll see it.

Hey Bob,

Try changing the "Scan type" under the 'parameters' section.

Capture.PNG

I believe this is what you are looking for. And "Also is there a way to keep the tool down in the cut and not have it jump around when cutting?"

I couldn't follow what that meant. Can you please give me a brief explanation?

Bob, what version of creo are you using?

Do you mean lifts while it is cutting a single pocket, or jumps around a part and does not go from pocket to pocket in a logical order?

Josh

Top Tags