cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

oscillating toolpath

joshuataylor
1-Newbie

oscillating toolpath

I was shown a toolpath today, created in MasteCAM, that oscillates in z with options to create either a sine wave or peaked path. In this case it was being used to cut a laminate and avoid heating up the tool so much. Other than sketching the path, is there any way to create this in Creo?

Josh

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I'm assuming this is in essence a 2D cut, with the Z oscillation added in so you can avoid always cutting glue layers with the same area of the tool? If so, one way would be to define a surface beneath the lower extent of the part, with whatever "bumpiness" you desire, then use a trajectory cut that specifies said surface for the height.

Although, it seems there *should* be some means of specifying an equation that modifies Z height according to distance of travel along the tool path.

A disadvantage I would see to this is you'll be forced to output "points only", making output files rather large. Which will also likely affect the "smoothness" of any arc

paths that would otherwise be done by a circular interpolation. You'd need to be careful about the "tolerance" values specified in defining the cuts, I guess.

Was the Z motion created in MasterCAM or at the machine tool with a G-code?

Kenneth has a good option for doing it in Creo, but the motion will also affect corners in the X-Y plane. If you can live with this, than that should the way to go.

This is more of a curiosity than something I need. The path I was shown was done in 5-axis to trim a part that had been laid up where the part was contoured and the finished edge needed to be normal to the surface, and this method supposedly reduces the heat in the cut and extends the life of the tool. I didn't see the gcode but I assume it would be quite large.

Ben, the entire tool path was created n MasterCAM, 2 check boxes and a couple of parameters.

Ken, do you have an example of using an equation to control a tool path?

Josh

Sorry, but I said there *should* be a method of controlling a toolpath with an equation, but I've never done it and never seen a method to do so.

You got me all excited, I thought I had something new to play with.

Top Tags