cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

3 equations 3 Unknown values

ptc-4476859
1-Newbie

3 equations 3 Unknown values

Hello,

I'm trying to solve for 3 values, having 3 equations,

See attached file

Thnaks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1) You had a multiplication sign between Find and the vector of variables Ri

2) Using a solve block with numeric evaluation will require you to provide guess values for the solved for variables. (For reasons I can't explain symbolic evaluation of Find will return wrong results, even if the units are omitted)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

1) You had a multiplication sign between Find and the vector of variables Ri

2) Using a solve block with numeric evaluation will require you to provide guess values for the solved for variables. (For reasons I can't explain symbolic evaluation of Find will return wrong results, even if the units are omitted)

Correction: Symbolic evaluation without units will give you a solution (I got confused with N and lbf), but a different one, as your system has no unique solution.

Symbolic eval with units returns a solution vector with zeros, which is wrong - don't know why

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

It seem to be like so:

Gauss-Jordan+Elimination+Method+.PNG

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

No need to calculate the reduced row echolon form manually, you may use rref.

But as rank(M)=rank(ME)=2<3 we already know, that we have an infinite number of solutions. You may google "Rouché-Capelli theorem".

Strange enough symbolic evaluation will yield wrong result!!?? Probably the result of numerical inaccuracy due to the awful automatic switch to float mode.

rank2.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Capture.PNG

rref( ) function sometimes works sometimes doesn't :

rref%28+%29+function.PNG

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Looks like there is a bug in your version (14, if I remember correct).

This is what Mathcad 15 M020 comes up with:

rref1.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise

I have only Mathcad 14. By the way, and could you do me a favor, give a sreenshot of :

No Solution.PNG

in Mathcad 15 M020. Thanks.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I get the same (wrong) result as you. Thats what happens quite often with numeric methods. The symbolics would refuse to evaluate that expression (with an inappropriate error messoge, though).

rref2.png

But why would you use lsolve on a system of equations which clearly has no solution (different rank for coefficient matrix and augmented matrix)?

rref3.png

Again you would see numeric inaccuracy if you evaluate the determinant numerically.

BTW, you could install the 30 day eval of Mathcad 15 on a spare computer, if you have that oportunity or in a VM, or use Mathcad Prime2 Express parallel with your MC14. Express won't let you do symbolic operation and solve blocks after its 30 day trial period. Numeric evals should work.

Dennis Lopez wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to solve for 3 values, having 3 equations,

Show please the picture of your forces.

Top Tags