cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Absolute beginner question-trial version vs. 15

ptc-5326644
1-Newbie

Absolute beginner question-trial version vs. 15

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this or if I'm violating any rules or customs-I've never posted anything like this before. Does the free student version talk to Mathcad 15? I downloaded the trial to work ahead on Physics 2 labs but I don't want to work it all out only to find it's not compatible with the version at school. Thank you for reading and again, if this is wrong in any way, accept my apologies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Don't worry - its the right place to post.

I guess you mean Prime Express 3 vs. Mathcad 15.

The communication here is very limited, better said, nearly nonexistent!

1. MC15 can't read Prime files and there is absolutely no way to convert/save a Prime sheet to MC15 format.
  2. Prime won't read Mathcad 15 sheets either, but there is a way to convert legacy sheets to Prime format. You need a full installation of a current Mathcad 15 to be able to do so.

So if your school still uses Mathcad 15 (which is a good decision anyway), it would be adviseable to use that version, too. There is a trial version of Mathcad 15 to download, too, which will work for 30 days as will the trial of Prime. The difference is that after this trial period Prime will still work but in a very limited Express mode (no symbolics, no programming, no solve blocks,..) while MC15 will not work at all.

If you have a student version of prime with a valid product code and you got your license file during installation, then you can install MC15 and use the same license file (not the product code) for it. In other words, if you are entitled to use Prime you are also entitled to use MC15.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Don't worry - its the right place to post.

I guess you mean Prime Express 3 vs. Mathcad 15.

The communication here is very limited, better said, nearly nonexistent!

1. MC15 can't read Prime files and there is absolutely no way to convert/save a Prime sheet to MC15 format.
  2. Prime won't read Mathcad 15 sheets either, but there is a way to convert legacy sheets to Prime format. You need a full installation of a current Mathcad 15 to be able to do so.

So if your school still uses Mathcad 15 (which is a good decision anyway), it would be adviseable to use that version, too. There is a trial version of Mathcad 15 to download, too, which will work for 30 days as will the trial of Prime. The difference is that after this trial period Prime will still work but in a very limited Express mode (no symbolics, no programming, no solve blocks,..) while MC15 will not work at all.

If you have a student version of prime with a valid product code and you got your license file during installation, then you can install MC15 and use the same license file (not the product code) for it. In other words, if you are entitled to use Prime you are also entitled to use MC15.

Wow, thank you so much for such a quick and comprehensive answer. The website is a bit baffing (to me, anyway). The one month ought to be enough for me to get in the practice I need. Our labs have a fixed end time and it takes me so long I don't finish. Our generous TA is letting me do the Mathcad part in advance and just fill in the data during class but when I tried to work on it with the version I downloaded it choked. Now I know what to do.

Thanks for being so kind to a newbie. I hope that kindness is returned to you several times over.

You are welcome.

In case you need it here are some links to get the free trial of Mathcad 15 (some people had problems with the one or the other in the past) because you are absolutely right, PTCs websites are baffling, to say the least 😉

http://download.ptc.com/products/mathcad/trial/mc15/Mathcad15_EN.zip

http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-15-0/free-trial.htm

http://www.mathcad-store.co.uk/downloadmathcad15trial.html

http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/download/dlddsp/10850/0/All/Mathcad+15+demo.html

Top Tags