cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Calculation Not Converged To A Solution

MR_11012943
1-Newbie

Calculation Not Converged To A Solution

Hi everyone. I have a mathcad worksheet that I am currently using to generate bending moment and curvature value through iteration. 

In this worksheet, the input that I change is just OD, WT, and tconc. My previous input is OD = 323.9, WT = 14.3, and tconc = 120 and the calculation manage to work just fine. However, when I changed the input to OD = 663.2, WT = 23.8, and tconc = 40, the iteration gives an error of "This calculation does not converge to a solution".

I'm curious on why this is happening and wondering if anyone has any experience on similar issue. Thank you in advance to anyone that helps out. I really appreciate it.

3 REPLIES 3
Perez
12-Amethyst
(To:MR_11012943)

Hello @MR_11012943 

Thank you for sharing the screenshot of the error within your Mathcad worksheet. The convergence issue seems to be arising in the section where root-finding functions root and on error are used. These types of numerical methods can be quite sensitive, and several factors could be contributing to the non-convergence.

The initial estimate 'ztrial' appears to be set at 1 mm. If the actual root is far from this estimate, or if the function's behavior is complex near this guess, the root finder might fail. Consider choosing an initial guess closer to the expected root based on the physical context of your problem.

Examine the functions N_total, e_conc_crush, etc., to ensure they are continuous and well-behaved (i.e., no discontinuities or steep gradients) around the initial guess and the expected root. Discontinuities and rapid changes can cause difficulties for the root-finding algorithm.

Hello,

only for testing in view of mistakes:

try to calculate without units. A lot of undefined variables will be shown.

Regards 😉

Hi @MR_11012943

It looks like you have some responses from community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you. 

Regards,

Anurag 

Top Tags