cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Can't open Mathcad file saving with XMT extension.

ptc-4897535
1-Newbie

Can't open Mathcad file saving with XMT extension.

I'm copying a file from a website that has an extension of .xmcd but when I save the file the extension changes to .xml. Using Matchcad Prime 2.0 convert tab I convert the file to .xmcd. The information shows the file status as converted. I try to open the file .xmcd and the message "file is not supported" pops up. Why is this happening? I'm thinking this file is made from such an old version of mathcad it can not be converted.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

When you copy a file offered by a website you usually can right click it and chose "save as ..". The correct extension (xmcd) should be offered by default. If not you can easily change it yourself.

A *.xmcd file is for Mathcad 14 or 15 and you should be able to open it in your Mathcad 15 and work with it. You should have a complete MC15 installed as otherwise you won't be able to convert sheets to Prime format anyway.

Given that Prime, especially version 2 but it applies to v3 as well is missing a lot of features compared to Prime it may be a good idea to stay with MC15 anyway.

If for some reason you need to work with the mediocre Prime2, you have to use the converter which comes with Prime. It will create a file with the extension .mcdx (note the "clever" rearrangement of the letters) which you should be able to open with Prime. The converter also creates a file with the extension .xml which can be deleted. If the converted sheet works and does what its supposed to do, depends on its content. Usually, because of Primes lot of limitations, only very basic worksheets will convert and work painlessly. Most will require some manual adjustments and quite a lot will not be able to be used in Prime at all because Prime is missing the necessary functionality.

So it looks you simply tried to open the wrong file in Prime. The .xmcd is the wrong one, you must open the .mcdx file.

In the caption you wrote about an .xmt extension. We don't have that extension in Mathcad. *.xmct are templates for MC14 and 15, *.mctx are templates for Prime3 (Prime2 does not support templates).

Karen Hedlund wrote:

I'm copying a file from a website that has an extension of .xmcd but when I save the file the extension changes to .xml...

Please provide link for this worksheet.

VladimirN. wrote:

Karen Hedlund wrote:

I'm copying a file from a website that has an extension of .xmcd but when I save the file the extension changes to .xml...

Please provide link for this worksheet.

This behaviour is browser specific. xmcd-files are XML-files and the browser recognises this. This is also the reason why with some browser its not possible to open a xmcd attachment with Mathcad as a browser will be opened to display the file instead of MC. So xmcdz is the better choice in this cases.

But Karen's problem seems to be to open the wrong file in Prime.

Thank you for the responses. They all helped. I opened MC Prime2.0 and made sure I was opening the converted file (.mcdx). Prime2.0 returned with an error message something like "File not supported" I changed the file extension from .xml to .xmcd and tried to open it with MC15. It opened!

Thank you for being out there.

Karen

Thank you for the responses. They all helped. I opened MC Prime2.0 and made sure I was opening the converted file (.mcdx). Prime2.0 returned with an error message something like "File not supported"

This should not happen. If you converted the file, Prime should at least be able to open it. Try the conversion again with the original file renamed to *.xmcd.

Top Tags