cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Conformal Mapping in MATHCAD PRIME

gianfry
7-Bedrock

Conformal Mapping in MATHCAD PRIME

Good evening.

I would like to implement a MATHCAD PRIME worksheet to map a solution on a circle to another domain. This technique is well known as conformal transformation. However, I tried to solve it numerically without success. I use this to predict the potential flow pressures around a body in 2D. Does anyone knows if this problem has already beel solved and indicating in which thread? I tried with the search function on the website, but no results. Thanks in advance for the support. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Which kind of conformal map function do you have in mind? f(z):=1/z or inversion (f(z)=1/conjugate z).

Here is a quick hack. The mapping is done point by point, not analytically.

You may chose your own mapping function.

Hope it helps.

Werner_E_0-1712958366530.png

Prime10 file attached

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Which kind of conformal map function do you have in mind? f(z):=1/z or inversion (f(z)=1/conjugate z).

Here is a quick hack. The mapping is done point by point, not analytically.

You may chose your own mapping function.

Hope it helps.

Werner_E_0-1712958366530.png

Prime10 file attached

Good night Werner.

Thanks for the mapping solution. Unfortunately the domain I need to map into a unit circle is not described with a function, but by points. I am talking about a wing section.

I think that if I provide a vector of value your algorithm should work. Am I correct in my understanding?

gianfry
7-Bedrock
(To:gianfry)

gianfry_0-1712960682478.png

@gianfry wrote:

Good night Werner.

Thanks for the mapping solution. Unfortunately the domain I need to map into a unit circle is not described with a function, but by points. I am talking about a wing section.

I think that if I provide a vector of value your algorithm should work. Am I correct in my understanding?

As long as the mapping is done by a function this should work.

Actually my approach only works with a matrix of point coordinates - n x 2 matrix, first column x-coordinates, second column y-coordinates. The result of my function is a similar matrix with the coordinated of the mapped points.

I used an explicit function (the sinus) and the parametric equation of an epicycloid just for demonstration. It was necessary to sample x- and y-values anyway so that my function could do its job. So if thats the data structure you have right from the start it should be OK.

Good evening, Werner.

Following your spreadsheet I finally was able to get the transformation I was looking for. Of course it is based on a function. Now I am working on the implementation of a mapping for a general shape into a unit circle, when the mapping function is not known. I found a paper from Theodorsen, dealing with such a type of problems, but before doing that I am working on plotting stremlines of a potential flow around this type of profile. The solution is well known...I need to figure it out numerically.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Gianfranco

Top Tags