cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Convergence Error when Solving System of Matrix

jmebara
11-Garnet

Convergence Error when Solving System of Matrix

Dear forum, 

Basically, I am trying to analyse the forced vibration of a single span Timoshenko beam on elastic supports at both ends.

I want to at the end determine the displacement w(f), rotation phi(f), shear force Q(f) and bending moment (f) at the ends of the beam due to a force excitation on one end of the beam. I want a plot of these paramaters over the excitation frequency f = 1Hz., 2Hz, 3 Hz....1000Hz.

To obtain these parameters, I need to solve for a matrix system which looks like this: A.c = b. A is a 4x4 matrix for each frequency, c is a 4x1 vector for each frequency and b is a 4x1 vector for each frequency. So, based on my frequency spacing of 1Hz from 1Hz to 1000Hz, I have 1000 4x4 A matrices in the A(f) matrix, 1000 4x1 matrices in the c(f) vector and 1000 4x1 matrices in the b(f) vector.

I have tried using lsolve to solve the system of equation for the c(f) vector but I keep on having an error message which says that the calculation does not converge to a solution. Initally, I have thought that it was because of the units, so I have created a another calculation sheet without units. Still the same convergence error when using lsolve. 

Is this a familiar error and how can one get around it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A.c = b. A is a 4x4 matri

See my last PM. In your sheet, which you can't post in the public forum, A is not a 4x4 matrix but rather a nested 4x1 matrix consisting of 1x4 matrices which as I suppose should be the rows of the expected 4x4 matrix. Sent you a possible solution in the PM.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

A.c = b. A is a 4x4 matri

See my last PM. In your sheet, which you can't post in the public forum, A is not a 4x4 matrix but rather a nested 4x1 matrix consisting of 1x4 matrices which as I suppose should be the rows of the expected 4x4 matrix. Sent you a possible solution in the PM.

So basically I had calculations using the row selector and the result was a row (1x4 matrix). It was still a row vector even after I put it in a matrix and so I ended up with a nested matrix.

Using the lsolve function with nested matrix has led to the error. Werner_E has quickly noticed the wrong nested matrix format in my calculation. By using the stack function instead to build the matrix, the nested matrix problem was avoided and I could use the lsolve function without any error messages.

Everything now works like magic. Thanks so much for your quick reply and great help.

Top Tags