cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Converting MC files to earlier version

LHR-disabled
1-Newbie

Converting MC files to earlier version

Is there a converter available which would allow me to read modern files using MC 2000 Pro? I wouldn't expect the new functions to show up but at least I could follow the approach.

Louis Reynolds
louis_reynolds@msn.com
17 REPLIES 17

M14 only downsaves to M11. You'd then need M11 to further downsave.

TTFN,
Eden

On 7/6/2009 12:18:02 AM, eden_mei wrote:
>M14 only downsaves to M11.
>You'd then need M11 to further
>downsave.
>
>
>TTFN,
>Eden

The collab does not ask for "downsave",
rather an "upread" from 2000 up to 14 .

jmG

Maybe it is worth making a converter from v14 to v6.

Steen Gro�e

On 7/6/2009 6:50:57 AM, sgrode wrote:
>Maybe it is worth making a converter from v14 to v6.

Yes. I've previously suggested that this should be a feature of an enhanced "Collaboratory".

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?75683,12

Stuart

... to the more useful (knowledge sharing) things

(allow the user to convert a posted Mathcad file to an earlier version, list all downloaded files (referenced to their threads, of course), search the files for keywords or variables, integrate the User Resources into one easily navigable menu system (for example, when a new user gets pointed at the Visual Images eBook, they can click on the �User Files� �Conference� and find it in there), perhaps include the Help or User Guides - even add a wiki where users could create pages on relevant topics, such as curve fitting, statistics, DE solvers,etc, with links to Mathcad files)

Hi one and all,

I believe there may be another slant to what Louis Reynolds was asking. I think it might be the same I would ask:

Each of us become familiar with the "feel" and "presentation" of the monitor screen views of the problems we are working on. How difficult would it be for (the likes of the "good old original" Mathcad 6 PRO programmers) for all later version screens to LOOK and PERFORM the same as the later versions' operations.

I believe Louis is asking for the screen he sees to LOOK LIKE a Mathcad 6 PRO screen so what he views he can understand.

I have the same desire - need - to somehow disengage the "fancy" entry underlining and vertical bar "__|" stuff just making it awkward to the newbie. On the other hand, the trouble-shooting functions are very helpful to find my errors of entry. Keep adding the e new features and resulting benefits � just keep the looks of Mathcad 6.

Colin C eagle1@eaglmall.com
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ColinCWare)

On 7/6/2009 9:14:20 AM, ColinCWare wrote:

>I believe Louis is asking for
>the screen he sees to LOOK
>LIKE a Mathcad 6 PRO screen so
>what he views he can
>understand.

I don't think that's what he is asking for, and in many cases it would not be possible.

>I have the same desire - need
>- to somehow disengage the
>"fancy" entry underlining and
>vertical bar "__|" stuff just
>making it awkward to the
>newbie.

I assume you are referring to the programming construct. You can't change that to some earlier format, because there was no earlier format. It was a new feature, with no previous equivalent.

Richard

On 7/5/2009 10:47:12 PM, LHR wrote:
>Is there a converter available
>which would allow me to read
>modern files using MC 2000
>Pro? I wouldn't expect the
>new functions to show up but
>at least I could follow the
>approach.

No. No such converter exists. Sorry.

Richard

Richard,

You wrote:
I assume you are referring to the programming construct. You can't change that to some earlier format, because there was no earlier format. It was a new feature, with no previous equivalent.

That is a misunderstanding. I am asking for for the appearance viewed on the monitor to be much like Mathcad 6. Mathcad 6 has many functions that are entered and/or used without the "__|" handling their use. Many of those functions had no prior equivalent.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 7/7/2009 10:35:58 PM, ColinCWare wrote:

>That is a misunderstanding. I
>am asking for for the
>appearance viewed on the
>monitor to be much like
>Mathcad 6. Mathcad 6 has many
>functions that are entered
>and/or used without the "__|"
>handling their use.

If you are not talking about the vertical bars in programs, then I don't understand which vertical bars you are talking about.

Richard

I have 2001i Prof. To read MCAD 11.1 files I hack the header from 11 to 2001i per the following:
Mathcad Version file begins with
5 .MCAD 303010000
6 .MCAD 304020000
7 .MCAD 306000000
8 .MCAD 308000000
2000 .MCAD 309000000
2001 .MCAD 310000000
2001i .MCAD 310050000
11 .MCAD 311001252
12 .MCAD 312021252
Note: the last four zero locations
may contain other digits.

I can generally read ver. 11.1 but not 11.2; the modified files work well in 2001i. I don't know if this technique will work for 2000; give it a try.
Jim S.

Is that all there is to do? I've tried to do that, but I get a failed to open document error.

TTFN,
Eden

Interesting Jim,

So you can read all the 11.2a files
Can you read 14 in your 2001i ?

Jean

On 7/6/2009 1:22:06 PM, jmG wrote:
>Interesting Jim,
>
>So you can read all the 11.2a
>files
>Can you read 14 in your 2001i
>?
>
>Jean

No, Jean - I can consistently read 11.1 but not 11.2 worksheets; thus I miss many of your posted files.
I haven't tried later versions recently; as I recall I only have occasional success, sometimes only partially reading the file (of course I can't do functions etc. that were incorporated only after 2001i).
Cheers,
Jim S.

On 7/6/2009 1:22:06 PM, jmG wrote:
>Interesting Jim,
>
>So you can read all the 11.2a
>files
>Can you read 14 in your 2001i
>?
>
>Jean

No, Jean - I can consistently read 11.1 but not 11.2 worksheets; thus I miss many of your posted files.
I haven't tried later versions recently; as I recall I only have occasional success, sometimes only partially reading the file (of course I can't do functions etc. that were incorporated only after 2001i).
Cheers,
Jim S.

Next important sheets, will save 2001i !
You don't miss much from 11.2a if anything at all ?

Jean

THanks, Jean. When I see a post that I really want and can't read I usually let you know.
I just received an email offer from PTC to buy version 14 for $99 - a very tempting opportunity. Although I am retired and don't really need Mathcad any more for my work I still like the mental exercise of keeping up with it. And I enjoy following the collaboratory discussions.
Jim S.

Richard and all others,

I believe I am saying: Mathcad is losing it stand in the mathematical position in the marketplace. The EASE of working in the Mathcad 6 Pro environment way exceeds what the later environments. PTC especially destroyed the close working relationship we had with Mathcad 6 (and earlier) application and programming engineers.

I am not asking for "converting" later models to earlier. I am asking Mathcad to write codes so that the later versions look and behave and perform (with the later programs and features) like Mathcad 6. Add the "new bells and whistles" in the familiar Mathcad 6 screen.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 7/12/2009 11:24:22 AM, ColinCWare wrote:
>Richard and all others,
>
>I believe I am saying:
>Mathcad is losing it stand in
>the mathematical position in
>the marketplace.

I would agree with that.

>I am not asking for
>"converting" later models to
>earlier. I am asking Mathcad
>to write codes so that the
>later versions look and behave
>and perform (with the later
>programs and features) like
>Mathcad 6. Add the "new bells
>and whistles" in the familiar
>Mathcad 6 screen.

Such as which feature? The only one I can think of that is significantly different is programming, and there is no way to make that look like anything that existed in versions prior to those that had programming.

Richard

Top Tags