cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Converting to Mathcad Prime 1.0

Efried
1-Newbie

Converting to Mathcad Prime 1.0

Hello,

I just learned the hard way that in order to test a M14 file I hace to install M15 M005. The test version M000 is aparently not sufficient for the converter.....

11 REPLIES 11
mzeftel
1-Newbie
(To:Efried)

Hello Gerfried,

To convert earlier versions of Mathcad files to Mathcad Prime 1.0, you do need to install Mathcad 15 M005. The conversion can be done directly in Prime, or with a separate application under the Mathcad folder, called XMCD, MCD Converter.

The good news is that when you purchase or upgrade to Mathcad Prime 1.0, you get an accompanying copy of Mathcad 15 M005 as well.

Best,

Mona

Efried
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

Thanks, I know but the bad point is the the converter asks for M005 and ignores the 30days Mathcad 15 trial version I have installed...

So I cannot test wether my programm (which stalled in Mathcad 14) will work in PRIME

Mathcad 15 only works as Admin, by the way may be converter does not like that fact. I found no way to convert directly in Prime so far.

thanks

mzeftel
1-Newbie

That is correct, you do need Mathcad 15 M005 for the converter to work. You can't open older Mathcad files directly in Mathcad Prime. 10.

We did add new programming operators to Mathcad Prime 1.0, but the programs basically work the same. If a program is not working in Mathcad 14 or 15, it probably won't work in Mathcad Prime either.

The one exception that I am aware of, it that up to Mathcad 11, we had dynamic units. Mathcad 12 through Mathcad 15 have static unit checking. Some older programs, which were dependent on dynamic units, didn't work in later versions of Mathcad, without accounting for static unit checking.

In Mathcad Prime 1.0, we have returned to dynamic units.

Currently Mathcad Prime 1.0 is posted as the trial version of Mathcad, as it's our latest release.

Mona

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

That is correct, you do need Mathcad 15 M005 for the converter to work. You can't open older Mathcad files directly in Mathcad Prime. 10.

Will this be the case with future versions of Prime?

Mike

That's how it will work for at least the next release. The conversion is pretty fast, and once a file is converted to Mathcad Prime 1.0, it can be opened directly in Mathcad Prime.

We prioritize features for each release, so this could change in the future.

Mona

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

That's how it will work for at least the next release. The conversion is pretty fast, and once a file is converted to Mathcad Prime 1.0, it can be opened directly in Mathcad Prime.

We prioritize features for each release, so this could change in the future.

Cheers for the update Mona.

I know the conversion is fast, but it would be a massive benefit if the conversion was not needed

Mike

Efried
1-Newbie

Sorry Mathcad 15 only works as admin and it says Mathcad 15.0 (15.0.0.436 [006041742]).

The converter does not like this version/setting/myself whatever... I claims M015

I don't expect PRIME so calculate correctly my mistreated programm but may be not to shoot random unit error messages as Mathcad 14/15 does.

The tip to use Mathcad 11 is a good one, would you please sell me that downgrade option?

many thanks in advance

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I don't expect PRIME so calculate correctly my mistreated programm but may be not to shoot random unit error messages as Mathcad 14/15 does.

I am >99% sure it will not run in Prime. The problem is the program, or something else in the worksheet, not Mathcad. And I am not convinced at this point that the error message is random. Although Mathcad does have some rather useless (or even misleading) error messages, when it gives you a highly specific message about a unit mismatch it is usually correct.

Hi,

may be a mixture between odd software and user behavior.

In betwen I gace it up to use PRIME since the 000 Version one can test from Mathcad 15 does not allow to convert.

I'm beginning to be very negative about PTC since the unexplained errors dominate with Mathcad 15 000

So I went back to Mathcad 14 and will report in a more appropriate thread.

Gerfried

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Gerfried,

We added functionality in Mathcad 15 M005 to work as a converter for Mathcad Prime 1.0. That's why Mathcad Mathcad 15 000 won't work for converting files to Mathcad Prime.

Have you posted your program with the unit errors? Perhaps someone can help you pinpoint what the problem is.

Mona

spaco
3-Visitor

One more thing about conversion.

After conversion the new file will contain also the old file.

Rename extension of Prime file to zip.

Open the archive and search inside.

I think that we should have the option to keep or not the old file.

Top Tags