cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Division Keyboard Shortcut Not Working

VP
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Division Keyboard Shortcut Not Working

Everytime I press the / key on my keyboard (which should be the hotkey for the division operator), Mathcad outputs " é " instead. How do I get it to do what it originally does again?

Thank You

10 REPLIES 10
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:VP)

Which keyboard layout are you using?

Which "/" are you pressing - numeric keypad or "normal" part of the keyboard?

Is it a Mathcad specific problem? Does the "/" key work as expected in a word processor or in notepad?

VP
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Werner_E)

I'm just using the standard US keyobard layour. I'm pressing the normal key with / and ? on it. And yes, it shows up as a / everywhere else I type, just on Matchad it shows up as é for whatever reason.

nas0k
7-Bedrock

Which version are you using? That will help narrow the search efforts.

For example:

In MC15 a ? used in a math region is the derivative shortcut, while in P3 the stroke returns just a ?. You have to use Cntrl Shift D in P3.

VP
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:nas0k)

I'm using MC15.

And it still outputs é even in text regions.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Strange, indeed.

• Again - does it happen with either of the two / keys? (normal keys and numeric pad)
  • Is it the only key producing strange results? Try in a text region.
  • Was Mathcad 15 already working OK in this respect with that installation? If yes, what did you do close before you noticed this strange behaviour? Anything which could result in a change of fonts?
  • Am I right that on US keyboards there normally is no way to produce the character é?

Not that I would have any clue - I'm just poking around.

VP
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Werner_E)

I am using MC15 on a laptop which does not have the numerical pad, so I only know that the normal key is having this issue. As far as I can tell, it is the only key with the problem. It was working fine earlier before the issue started. It is entirely possible I may have changed or done something, but I do not know how, when, or what I did to cause this. I may just try reinstalling the program to hopefully resolve the issue. It is not too big of a problem becuase I can still use the division feature from the calculator toolbar; it is just somewhat inconvenient.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Did the reinstall of MC cure the problem?

MichaelH
1-Newbie

What happens when you change the font for the equation?

What font is it currently using??

VP
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:MichaelH)

It is either Arial or Times New Roman, but changing the font does not seem to make any difference.

MichaelH
1-Newbie

What happens when you try to type a "/" in a text region??

Top Tags