cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Engineering Libraries

ELSID
4-Participant

Engineering Libraries

Going through some archives, I found a set of the Engineering Libraries. I can not install on my 14 install. For some reason, it is looking for a disk. It's a set up file from a zip. See attached. Any help on how to install would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

On 11/6/2009 2:01:51 PM, ElSid wrote:
>Going through some archives ...

I don't recognize this icon as an usual library icon from mathsoft or ptc. To be more sure about the procedence of setup.exe you can choose the view buttom from winzip and regard inside the binary file searching recognizables texts strings, or unzip the file and choose properties, but probably you find the name of the "setup" software provider.

Also can look at the temp folder and search what files decomprises this setup.exe, maybe there it is the file that the installer wants.

Regards. Alvaro.
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

It came with M14 M00.

I just had my machine re-imaged and they installed M030 directly. I forgot to backup my e-books 😞

Alvaro ... SUCCESS.

It is in the temporary folder ...

C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Local Settings\Temp\
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:ELSID)

Yep, most of those libraries had an old installer
that unzipped the files, then the installer itself
failed, giving a nasty message. As you say, a search
around then shows up where the files are hidden.

I also think you can unzip them with the right
software/approach (e.g. just ask WinZip to open it
and hope..)
Philip Oakley
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:PhilipOakley)

Winzip & 7-zip did not work. That is why I posted. I was hoping to find a pressure loss sheet in the e-books (duct or pipe). I'll be working on a pragram loop for a small system to bone up on programming.
mzeftel
1-Newbie

The Engineering libraries are E-books made up of just Mathcad files with HBK files. If you can get to the individual files, you can set them up yourself in the Handbook folder (or any other folder).

Put the HBK in the handbook folder, so it shows under Help > E-Books. Otherwise you can browse to the HBK file.

Then make a subfolder named the same as the HBK file at the same level as the HBK file, so for Thermal book, it is thermal.hbk and the folder name is thermal. Post all the Mathcad worksheets in the thermal folder. Then you can browse to themal.hbk and open the book.

I hope this helps,

Mona
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:mzeftel)

Mona,
Thank you. I will rehash what was learned and documented above.
*Could not open files in winzip or 7-zip to self extract
*Libraries installer is old and should be updated.
**Installer creates a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Local Settings\Temp\??? (???=ID7, ID8, ID9 if memory serves) The problem is that the installer can not find these newly created foldurs to execute the MSI. Once I found the temporary folders, I manually executed the MSI which installed in the correct Mathcad 14 folder.
ELSID
4-Participant

Is there a way of sorting alpha-numerically?

On 11/10/2009 1:21:56 PM, ElSid wrote:
>Is there a way of sorting alpha-numerically?

Close mathcad, rename Handbook folder to xHandbook, start mathcad, close mathcad, rename xHandbook to Handbook, start mathcad.

Now they are in lexical order ... of the name of the hbk file/folder.

hbk files are ascii files with information about the handbook. One of this are the clause:

For example:

.titleImage Processing

is the information about what mathcad shows, but is in the file improc.hbk.

Notice that could be or not space between ".title" and "Name".

I suposse that you can add the folder/hbk name before the title specification, editing with any ascii text editor, to something like:

.titleimproc - Image Processing

Regards. Alvaro.

PD: Make a backup before any any changes. For example, make a zip with the entire Handbook folder.

AlvaroDíaz wrote:

On 11/10/2009 1:21:56 PM, ElSid wrote:
>Is there a way of sorting alpha-numerically?

Close mathcad, rename Handbook folder to xHandbook, start mathcad, close mathcad, rename xHandbook to Handbook, start mathcad.

Now they are in lexical order ... of the name of the hbk file/folder...

This trick does not work with Mathcad 15 M010.

Top Tags