cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Excel component missing!

CarlosVillaseño
1-Newbie

Excel component missing!

Hi everybody!

Some one missing the Excel component? I have in the previous versions of mathcad a lot of worksheets with Excel tables inserted like a component. I think that this feature can't missing in the mathcad prime, instead appears a simple command to read (READEXCEL funtion) an Excel file, but is not enough because many experienced users like me, will expects to use all the functionality of Excel into Mathcad as earlier versions as true live component.

Mathcad is powerful to develope worksheets with formulas and math expressions, Excel is the master for tabular calculations. Why not keep the same relationship as the earlier versions?

I wondering what will happen with all the worksheets where Excel components were inserted, I have developed a lot of job with this feature. I think that missing this feature will make us serious considerations about the decision to keep working with Mathcad 14.

All the experienced Mathcad users see the power Mathad + Excel = 100%, if it don�t included, the Excel component feature as the earlier versions, the Mathcad power will saw reduced to 70%.

Best regards
Carlos Villase�or

8 REPLIES 8

Carlos,

I can not open or save your attached PDF file. Please send it to - so we receive your feedback. I will log your issue about the Excel component.

Mona

Hi Mona!
I tried to upload the original file (in word) but I don't know what happens, it seems that the file is corrupted, but I can open it in my computer.

I have already sent to -.

Regards
Carlos V

We can't download your file (at least, not without a great deal of trouble), because of the � in the filename (this web board does not like anything other than basic aphanumerics and a couple of other characters such as _ and - in filenames). Could you rename the file and repost it.

Thanks
Richard

Hi. Apologies, I don�t know what happens, but here you are the file again, this thime in word.

Best Regards

Again

OK, I think that this is the right file.

The new ReadExcel and WriteExcel seem to work well with only a couple of bugs I've noticed - but I'm sure they'll get resovled soon.

It gives much the same functionality as the old style Excel component for importing and exporting data.

However - I've read your comments and I agree, especially with this:
"Excel data importation: only appears like simple table of data, only to read, there are any o very poor interaction between applications, the power of Excel is misspent!"

I only learnt about the Excel feature through Tom on this message board, and since then I've used it very frequently. It not only provides one of the simplest means of getting the data into and out of Mathcad to/from Excel BUT it is also the best way to display tables of data. The data can be formatted well beyond the capabilities of Mathcad. And that is a GOOD thing.

To misquote a biblical reference:
�Render unto Mathcad the things which are Mathcad�s, and unto Excel the things that are Excel�s�

PLEASE leave us with the ability to insert Excel objects into Matchad as this makes up for many shortfalls in Mathcad formatting AND it makes up for many of the shortfalls in Excel. They are a good combination, and they should remain a good combination.

Philip

Thank you for your comments Phillip. When wrote this comments I only reviewed the software superficially and this was the first thing that I stumble, then I wrote the issue to PTC. But when I access to this collaborator forum and reviewed the "known issues" that PTC send me to begin the beta test, I encountered that the situation It is worse than I thought about the rest of the Mathcad features: PTC practically they are stepping back on this valuable software.
I'm very concerned about the disappearance of the Mathcad as is, because PTC seems that have another plans about to boost over its other applications. Has long since Mathcad 14 launch, I sometimes thought that they keep it in the closet.
I hope that this doesn't happen and PTC realize that Mathcad like proper application that will give them like "Hey! You can maximize some Mathcad analysis if you buy this application that we developed specially for this kind of problem...", I really hope.
Best regards
Top Tags