cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Feature request: An "evaluated at" graphic functionality

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

Feature request: An "evaluated at" graphic functionality

I was just doing an explanatory & investigatory worksheet on logistic regression and wanted to show

d/dx( p(x) ) "evaluated at" x=0 i.e. with a righthand vertical bar and x=0 at it's bottom right (commaa separated for multi-vars)

and realised I didn't think we had this symbolic / graphic capability.

So it would look like:

d/dx( p(x) ) |

|(X=0)

I certainly would like this type of capability, rather than having to show

d/dx( p(0) ...... which doesn't work!

or define a temporary function name (clutter) and evaluate that.

or ?? couldn't think of a short way using programming tools.

This (reverse order of presentation) can also be extended to the programming capability where we need implicit test cases such as 'evaluate for all i and j, except when i=j (i.e. 'i.NE.j')

6 REPLIES 6

There is the 'substitute' option using the symbolic menu, though this is uglier.

Another option is:

derivative.PNG

though this is rather cumbersome, and perhaps runs up against your 'clutter' constraint.

Hmm! I support your request. What are the chances of getting it implemented do you think?

Alan

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:AlanStevens)

Neat idea, but like you say it's a bit cumbersome.

What is really needed is a 'graphic design' capability, so we can set out the 'graphic layout', indicating where the parameter substitutions go, and then we could have any fancy maths!

Mind you there are a few common layout styles that should be provided for mathcad to gain some new traction (I've been fighting a mainly loosing battle against Matlab!).

Philip

how about :

Capture.PNG

Regards

Andy

A Westerman wrote:

how about :

Capture.PNG

Regards

Andy

The disadvantage of this form is that it only works where the d/dx(p(x)) can be evaluated symbolically, as the lim operator only works symbolically Although I used the symbolic arrow (because I'd been thinking about the symbolic 'substitute' form) it would have been more sensible for me to have used the standard numerical =, as my version then works even where dp(x)/dx can't be evaluated symbolically.

Alan

We can also apply a combination Ctrl+Shift+J and Crtrl+Shift+K.

d_dx(p(x)).GIF

Viktor

Viktor

and about it:

yprim.png

Top Tags