cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

File Type Not Supported - MathCAD Prime

AM_11027289
1-Newbie

File Type Not Supported - MathCAD Prime

Hi there,

I'm receiving the error "file type not supported" when trying to open an old mathcad file. 

I've attached the file, could you please assist. 

9 REPLIES 9

The file in the zip archive you posted is damaged/corrupted.

My attempt to fix it resulted in many missing regions. Maybe someone else has more success.

Attached "repaired" file is in format Prime 10.

Good day,

Thank you so much. 

I'm however using matchad 8 at the moment, would you be able to provide the repaired in version 8? 

Adam 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:AM_11027289)

Here is Werner's file converted to Prime 8.

Now you can choose which one is best.

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:AM_11027289)

Your file is pretty corrupt. This is what I could recover.

Also here, many missing parts.

Success!
Luc

I don't understand how it would be corrupt. The file has been untouched since it was made. Seems like a quite a frequent issue with this software. 

@AM_11027289 wrote:

I don't understand how it would be corrupt. The file has been untouched since it was made. Seems like a quite a frequent issue with this software. 

Unfortunately Prime does not provide any means for creating and maintaining backups. It also lacks a simple autosave-facility as we were used from real old Mathcad.

In the past we have seen many requests similar to yours because of damaged Prime files and I got the impression that it could have something to do with (lots of) embedded pictures (not sure, though). Sometimes parts of the file (which actually is a renamed zip file) could be restored, but sometimes we had also seen file which consists of nothing but a lot of zero bytes where nothing was there which could be recover.

But I haven't seen any such requests here recently. This may mean that users have given up, or (hopefully) that Prime's behavior has been significantly improved in this respect in one of the latest versions.

Thanks for the response. 

The original file does have quite a few images, and it seems that those were the parts that came out missing in the repaired file. Another feature that was missing in the repaired file was all the text, strangely. 

Do you think something might have happened during compression of the file? 

I've attached the file directly this time and maybe it will result in something better?? 

Would you please help me this one last time. I really appreciate all your efforts.

@AM_11027289 wrote:

Thanks for the response. 

The original file does have quite a few images, and it seems that those were the parts that came out missing in the repaired file. Another feature that was missing in the repaired file was all the text, strangely. 

Do you think something might have happened during compression of the file? 

I've attached the file directly this time and maybe it will result in something better?? 

Would you please help me this one last time. I really appreciate all your efforts.

The files you just posted and the one you posted in the zip file are identical.

All I could recover apart from the file already posted are the three pics which I attach here.

I tried to repair that file again, but I guess I ended up with the same result as before. Its attached here again, this time in Prime 6 format so you should be able to open it with your version.

Its noticeable that none of the three pictures I could save is embedded in the Prime file . Also the worksheet is 42 pages long, but there is no data starting with page 11. So unfortunately there seems to be a lot missing.

BTW, Lucs worksheet is 47 pages long with no data starting from page 12. So there may be differences (or its just because of different page sizes/page breaks. Don't mind the many red errors in Luc's sheet - they will go away when you let the sheet recalculate.

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.
Regards,
Andra
Top Tags