cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Find and replace

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

Find and replace

In Mathcad 15, if you have a subscripted variable:

and you execute a Find and Replace: 

you get: 

If Prime 3.0 

gets you

VERY Frustrating!!

6 REPLIES 6

I agree totally!

fward
6-Contributor
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Hello fellow MC users.

Reading this thread I am wondering if any out there have a solution to doing a find and replace of all variables defined in a worksheet - eg by the use of a wildcard character.  I want to add a subscript to all variables that I have defined in a worksheet, and really don't want to go thorugh and do it to every one individually.

Thanks

Frank

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:fward)

In (real) Mathcad (that is, Mathcad 15 and before), the subscript is entered by typing a dot ('.') in the name, and search (and replace) works with that. (Note that a subscript is different from an index, that you get by typing '['.)

In Prime the only way to enter a subscript is using the menu.

I see no way to enter subscripts to variables by search and replace.

Success with the hand-job...

Luc

in 15 you don't need the period; if you type just the subscript text Mathcad will replace the text in the subscript and leave the subscript.  Prime replaces the whole variable name (full text and subscript) with your text as full text.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

I guess I was making the point that if you have two variables in Mathcad (not Prime):

alpha.beta    and    gamma.blabla

you can search and replace 'a.b' with 'c.d' to end up with:

alphc.deta    and    gammc.dlabla

And with a variable alpha, you could do search and replace 'pha' with 'pha.sub' to get alpha.sub.

(And in each case, the part of the variable name after the period shows as subscript).

Luc

I understand.  And you're correct.

I do a fair amount of processing data from sequential tests that report the same quantities.  In Mathcad 15, I'd paste the data (copied from EXCEL) into a data table, label the table data.run1.  Below the tables comes

"var.r1 := data.run1<0>in" to apply units to the data. 

To process the second data set, copy the entire calculation (data table and all), do a Find (1) and Replace  (2), paste run #2 into data.run2, and the second run has been processed, the data is ready to compare with the processed data from run #1.

That cannot be made to work in Prime nearly as effortlessly.

Top Tags