cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Finding another solution from the symbolics' hint ?

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Finding another solution from the symbolics' hint ?

Hello Evryone.

1.PNGFinding another solution from the symbolics' hint ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

If you mean understanding the math behind, labert W -function, complex analysis, etc. I think its better to rely on one or more of the many books about this subject rather than watching mathcad struggle with the tasks.

If you mean understanding how to work with Mathcad's symbolics, then you already have learned that Mathcad and especially its symbolics is rather weak when it come to more complex (pun intended) problems and it ever so often fails to provide a solution, provides only part of the solution and in some rare cases even provides a wrong solution.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

I greatly appreciate your time and help, Werner. Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy. I got it.

Best Regards.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Now I have the relative and similar question :

2.PNG

How to make a correction to my guessing-program-function for finding two more solutions in this range ?
Best Regards.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

As help, the internet, and Werner have shown, the Lambert W function has two branches.  What does Lamb(0,4) give you for zeros?

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Please help and make a correction.

Best Regards.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

I cannot.  (Only Prime Express--no programming, no symbolics, . . . )

Just type it in your sheet!  Set n := 0

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Many thanks anyway.

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Once again you define a function f(x) which describes a whole family of curves, not just one.

The numerics pic a different member of this family when x is negative, but the symbolics only solves one member of the family where you only get real results for x>0.

The get the solutions you are looking for you would have to try to solve a different equation (x -> -x), but you already had a very similar example and have already seen that Mathcad/MuPad is not able to solve symbolically.

So again what remains is to use the numerics.

Can you finally explain and reveal what all those calculations should be good for? If its just playing around it really does not matter if you get symbolic or numeric result, right?

B.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Werner, I only wish learning and only wish fully understanding the symbolics' hint.(nothing  else). (And because of : "I guess your zeros(  ) program-function already solve it"), (I hope you understand my English as second language), (and again : I only wish learning and only wish fully understanding the symbolics' hint) : 

3.PNG   

Best Regards.

Loi. 

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

If you mean understanding the math behind, labert W -function, complex analysis, etc. I think its better to rely on one or more of the many books about this subject rather than watching mathcad struggle with the tasks.

If you mean understanding how to work with Mathcad's symbolics, then you already have learned that Mathcad and especially its symbolics is rather weak when it come to more complex (pun intended) problems and it ever so often fails to provide a solution, provides only part of the solution and in some rare cases even provides a wrong solution.

Top Tags