cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

General public use of Mcad

ColinCWare
1-Newbie

General public use of Mcad

Happy New Year everyone.

For some time now, I have been researching this forum and other sources for a publicly, generally available mathematics program I can use on my new SIG-MENSA blog "NOU - Nature of the Universe" just about to come on-line.

A small percentage of the total content requires being able to publish by members for me and all other members to see the mathematical statements of their and my written text statements. If Mathcad (PTC) has such a universal program, I will gladly support a very reasonable priced service that, of course, I would be using demonstrating its advantages.

Colin C eagle1@eaglmall.com
8 REPLIES 8

If your version 6 does not include programming, you will be very limited. No matter how good or bad 14 is, it is far above 6 for general applied maths.

jmG
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ColinCWare)

If you want free math software with a Mathcad like interface you have only one option:

http://en.smath.info/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=202

It is not nearly as powerful as Mathcad (even version 6), but it's what you can get for $0.

Richard

Hi jmG,

I have programming in my Ver 6 Pro. Yet, there many opportunities not to use programming because the Nature of the Universe is not that fancy or complicated.

Hi Richard, In no way did I mean $0.

To any and all responders,

Please read carefully my first request for help. I expect there will be a nominal cost - nothing like the sky-high PTC prices.

They could sell three or four times more copies of their offerings if the prices were set at 50% and then offer 20% reduction on the first 50 orders.

I have often thought of a deal with PTC. For 10% commissions and world sole rights to sell, I would sell a remade Mathcad "Mcad 6 Pro - Remake" so long as it *appeared* (See my first entry for specifications.)to operate as simply as as my Mcad 6 Pro.

I'll just suggest Microsoft Math for Word:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=030fae9c-704f-48ca-971d-56241aefc764&displaylang=en

On 1/10/2010 1:58:13 PM, ColinCWare wrote:
>the Nature
>of the Universe is not that
>fancy or complicated.

Unlike the actual universe....

>Hi Richard, In no way did I
>mean $0.

No - But there aren't a lot of options, and they are all expensive. This suggestion was the only realistic answer to your specific question.

>They could sell three or four
>times more copies of their
>offerings if the prices were
>set at 50% and then offer 20%
>reduction on the first 50
>orders.

The argument doesn't hold true. That statements assumes high price elasticity - that a change in price will be matched by large proportional change in purchases. There is little doubt that a change in price will change demand, however the target audience is very finite and a finite customer base means an inelastic price. That is, a change in sales price doesn't have much change on number of purchases. This means that halving the price may increase sales by 25%, meaning a total loss of 25% in profit.

It's like Microsoft Windows, why don't they charge $10 for it? They would sell hundreds of thousands more coppies. They don't do it because they would make less total profit than selling fewer coppies at a higher purchase price.

Anyway - that's getting away from the point.

I absolutely agree that a "Home Edition" is required, like Wolfram Mathematica, and if this were at a cheaper price the sales would undoubtedly increase. I would like to see a basic feature Mathcad available for people to use to learn mathematics (school children), and even for purposes such as your.

However, I don't think this will ever be the most profitable market.

I would also like to see students getting coppies for free while they are studying. These are the people who will dictate sales in later years.

Philip

Hi everyone,

I made an error in including a business topic that should have been placed in "Feature Suggestions" so please excuse this improper entry in this topic. I have continued my business topic in Feature Suggestions.

On 1/10/2010 4:28:33 PM, pleitch wrote:
> I
>would like to see a basic feature
>Mathcad available for people to use to
>learn mathematics (school children), and
>even for purposes such as your.

It was called StudyWorks. They discontinued it, presumably because there was not enough profit.

Richard
Top Tags