cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Help please to convert a Hyperbole to a canonical form

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Help please to convert a Hyperbole to a canonical form

See please the Mathcad Prime 3 file in attach

Hyperbola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7 REPLIES 7

The way you are doing it looks pretty good to me. Your residuals are down in the region of 10^-8 to10^-9, and given that your starting point is a numerical solution from odesolve anything better would be meaningless. The only thing I would do differently is that I would set up a vector of times, and then have one vectorized equation in the solve block rather than 12 separate equations.

Thanks Richard!

It will be one chapter of the book "Fine Math with Mathcad". Would you be one coauthor

No problem to convert the the orbit as ellipse - see please the attach.

And second.

I can nor create one orbit as parabola

It will be one chapter of the book "Fine Math with Mathcad". Would you be one coauthor

Thanks for the consideration, but that sounds like it might be a lot of work

You can't have an orbit as a parabola, because if it's a parabola it's not an orbit

The parabolic trajectory is the limiting case of the hyperbolic trajectory, when the orbiting body just achieves escape velocity ( i.e. it's the boundary case between an elliptical orbit and a hyperbolic trajectory). In such a case there is a very specific relationship between the orbital velocity and the radial distance. See the attached worksheet

Richard Jackson wrote:

Thanks for the consideration, but that sounds like it might be a lot of work

A lot of work is good!

Not a lot of work is not good!

You can be a coauthor of one chapter of the book!

Richard Jackson wrote:

You can't have an orbit as a parabola, because if it's a parabola it's not an orbit

Sori, Ay nou inglish veri plokho!

Thanks for the parabola - see the attach.

But with the parabola D is not quit zero!

A lot of work is good!

Not a lot of work is not good!

Agreed. But too much work is also not good. I have a lot on my plate right now.

You can be a coauthor of one chapter of the book!

It would be an interesting project I don't want to promise something I can't deliver in a timely fashion though, and I really do have a big workload right now. If you have my email address (I am almost certain I have yours) send me an email, and we can discuss this further. Privately, I can give you information about my current commitments that I can't post on a public forum.

But with the parabola D is not quit zero!

It's about 10 orders of magnitude smaller than D for the hyperbolic trajectory or the elliptical orbit. Given all the numeric approximations, that seems quite good to me. If you change CTOL from 10^-7 to 10^-10 it drops another 14 orders of magnitude though, which I think is really as much as you could hope for with a numerical ode solve followed by a numerical least squares fit. It's a good example of the limits of numerical computing.

Thanks, Richard.

My e-mail is here Valery Fedorovich OCHKOV

And more

Sorry

I can not find or create same odes with polar coordinates!

Help me please

ValeryOchkov wrote:

And more

Sorry

I can not find or create same odes with polar coordinates!

Help me please

As for a pendulum:

pendulum.png

Top Tags