cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How Units/Constants in Symbolics/Result work?

Cornel
18-Opal

How Units/Constants in Symbolics/Result work?

Hello,

Cornel_3-1701786848989.png

Cornel_0-1701787257058.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Cornel)

Why would you want to do so? If you don't want to see units, don't use them in the definitions.

Of course you could redefine the unit s as being 1 using s:=1 before you use it, but I would strongly advise against doing so as the redefinition would apply to numeric calculations as well.
BTW, unit rad is already defined as being just 1, but as you probably know, the symbolics does not know anything about units.

While we can define a variable for numeric use and make it unknown to the symbolics, there is no way to redefine a variable or unit for the symbolics only other than using the "substitute" command in every symbolic evaluation.

Of course you could play around with user-defined units but as soon as you use units you will also see them in symbolic evalauations

Werner_E_0-1701790961164.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DJNewman
17-Peridot

Are all of the "s" on the left-hand side supposed to be for the unit "seconds"? If so, they aren't labelled as such. (They're labelled as variables, not units.)

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

No, not all "s" on the left-hand side are supposed to have unit "seconds". Only the parameters a2 and a3 are in seconds (rad/seconds). The other three s from the fraction: s/a1, s/a2, s/a3 are variables, so they (only s) are supposed to be variables.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Is there any problem, any question to the picture you posted?

I don't see anything strange or wrong here.

Not sure why you show the Redefinition warning menu?

Is it possible to make the result of this:

Cornel_0-1701790172627.png

to look like this:

Cornel_1-1701790179187.png

but without using substitute for units?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Why would you want to do so? If you don't want to see units, don't use them in the definitions.

Of course you could redefine the unit s as being 1 using s:=1 before you use it, but I would strongly advise against doing so as the redefinition would apply to numeric calculations as well.
BTW, unit rad is already defined as being just 1, but as you probably know, the symbolics does not know anything about units.

While we can define a variable for numeric use and make it unknown to the symbolics, there is no way to redefine a variable or unit for the symbolics only other than using the "substitute" command in every symbolic evaluation.

Of course you could play around with user-defined units but as soon as you use units you will also see them in symbolic evalauations

Werner_E_0-1701790961164.png

Top Tags