cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How can i type "x" with circumflex

WladimirKazantz
1-Newbie

How can i type "x" with circumflex

Hello

I would like to ask how can i type "x" with circumflex

i.e. a unitary vector.

I search on mathcad unimath font and I didn't find it.

23 REPLIES 23

Use an x with the combining diacritical mark for a circumflex (0302). Not all fints properly support this (the circumflex may not line up properly), but Mathcad Unimath does.

Can you post a worksheet

I can't understand how to do this

Well, that's strange. I could swear it worked testerday with the Unimath font, but today I can only get it to work with the UnimatPrime font.

I can combine characters only in a text mode

When I type in math mode the circumflex appears at the right of "x"

then when i type spacebar, everything is fine.

Also,

How can i type space in a varriable??

Use a non-breaking space (character 00A0)

You can also enter special characters in a math (or variable) region using [ctrl][shift] K, to type a space or some thing else, maybe you can type the text for the circumflex that you got to work.

See help "Typing Reserved Keystrokes And Special Symbols In a Name"

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:wayne)

Yes, you are right. A normal space seems to work. I could have sworn it had to be a non-breaking space..

Which version of Mathcad, and which font are you using?

I use mathcad 15 and i use "times new roman"

but i try also sylfaen, mathcad unimath and arial

the best that i reached is with "Microsoft PhagsPa"

Like I said, not all fonts correctly support this. Apparently, these do, although I have not tried them:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=91

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=112

Thanks a lot

I fixed it. I used "Arial unicode MS" and everything ok.

I just tested x circumflex with Segoe UI, and the combining characters, which you can search for in CharMap.exe work correctly in Mathcad 15.

Mona

It doesn't work for me. I can't understand why.

Any way.

I also try to type "k" with circumflex with "Arial unicode MS"

and the problem is that circumflex is typed almost on "k".

It is too low.

As I say, any way.

Fonts are designed for specific purposes, that do not necessarily include putting a circumflex over a k. I am certainly no expert on this, but I believe the font has to specifically support the combination, or it may not work properly.

At a minimum, it's a complicated mess. See here for more information:

http://unicode.org/faq/char_combmark.html

Ok, then.

I 'll not spend time for now to read it, I put it for later,but I would like to ask one more question.

If I am gonna work with LaTeX , will I face these problems?

My understanding is that the problem is with the font itself. Maybe it's possible for the software (in this case LaTeX) to have some way to handle this when it encouters a problem, maybe not. I really don't know enough to say whether that is even possible. You would have to try it.

One more question.

How can I denote a tensor?

A letter with a double axe over it?

I can make my own font but there is a problem with the size and also I must spend a lot of time to make it.

Same answer, really. You need to find a font with the correct combining mark, that works with the letter you want to use.

I guessed that this would be the answer but I tried many fonts, first of all these for which work the circumflex, but it didn't work for double axe. Is there any other suggestion because I really don't want to start learning Latex.

Thank you for your response.

Sorry, but I think at this point you have more experience with this than I do.

You can easily construct what ever you want using windows Private Character Editor (search windows help).

The problem is, you cannot access the font file, at least I can't, so you can only use the characters on that computer. You would need to make again on each computer.

If someone knows of a way to get that private character file, so you could share that file, then that would be a good solution. I hit a dead end.

I tried it, to be clear I tried eudcedit.exe but when I used an already fixed character and I modified it, the character appears much smaller than the real one.

For example if I use "Times New Roman" with size 12 I must put my character on the size 20 to be almost the same, ok maybe this is not big problem but some times it is very annoying.

I don't know if there is the same problem with others editors. As it seems I have to try it.

Top Tags