cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How do I enter an identity into my MathCad Worksheet?

ptc-4410593
1-Newbie

How do I enter an identity into my MathCad Worksheet?

I would like to add notes to my worksheet that include equations. Mathcad doesn't need to solve them yet. For instance I have a Velocity and the x and y components squared should equal the magnitude of the velociy. ie V0^2 = V0x^2 + V0y^2.

When I try to enter this Mathcad first adds =? then tells me that none of the variables are defined. Duh. I just want to add a note to the sheet... And the note is an equation. Isn't there a way to do this?

Also I'm new to this forum, I assume I may subscribe to answers?

6 REPLIES 6

Use the Boolean =, then you can but what you want, RHS=LHS

Or so (regular Mathcad not Prime):

EE.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4410593)

When you create a thread you will automatically be subscribed and recieve e-mails notifications, if you have them turned on that is

Mike

I found it. [Cntrl]+ works. It creates an equal sign that MathCad ignores. Otherwise the variables in the equation would need to exist.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4410593)

Yes, for what you want to do that works, and it is exactly what I do for "dead" equations. You should be aware that it's not just a dead "=" though. It's the boolean comparison operator.

LouP
11-Garnet
(To:RichardJ)

Another way is to copy math expressions one side at a time into a text region, using the text equal sign between the two sides (if you want to make an equation). Math expressions keep their formatting in text regions, and you can include additional text commentary as well - good for notes and annotations. This also works for full equations already including the Boolean =.

Lou

Top Tags