cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to display function variables into equation?

XN_10549151
4-Participant

How to display function variables into equation?

I have a cheat sheet of beam equation, all expressed as functions of variables such as w, P, l, etc. The challenge arises when I apply it to compute load combinations, as the beam equation becomes visually convoluted. A reviewer would only see a series of functions, necessitating them to backtrack through calculations to identify the specific function in use. An alternative is to redefine my input variables (w, P, l, etc.) and directly solve the beam formula without using functions, essentially copying the equation. However, this becomes cumbersome due to the need to clear variables for each subsequent equation. Is there a method to explicitly solve my functions and revert them to the original equation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XN_10549151
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

I did not know about the "explicit, ALL" and dummy me did not scroll down on the explicit examples that mathcad gave (https://support.ptc.com/help/mathcad/r8.0/en/index.html#page/PTC_Mathcad_Help/example_explicit_calculation.html when I looked into this earlier. 

This is what I was trying to achieve. 

XN_10549151_0-1698791460101.png

Now my next question is how do I stack the equation after the explicit or just organize it so it doesn't spill off the page

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Can you setup and post a stripped down worksheet with minimal functions showing the problem along with a display of what you would like to achieve.

You know about the "explicit", "explicit,<variable name>" and "explicit,ALL" modifiers for symbolic evaluation?

XN_10549151
4-Participant

I did not know about the "explicit, ALL" and dummy me did not scroll down on the explicit examples that mathcad gave (https://support.ptc.com/help/mathcad/r8.0/en/index.html#page/PTC_Mathcad_Help/example_explicit_calculation.html when I looked into this earlier. 

This is what I was trying to achieve. 

XN_10549151_0-1698791460101.png

Now my next question is how do I stack the equation after the explicit or just organize it so it doesn't spill off the page

So you are looking for a kind of line break when evaluating symbolically?

Thats a long standing wish but unfortunately still not implemented.

Sometimes it helps to chose a smaller font for the region in question.

XN_10549151
4-Participant

So after some tinkering I came up with this. I can put my variable equation into a hidden region. Then restate the explicit result in another region. It's the best I can do to condense the result so a reviewer wouldn't get confused. 

XN_10549151_0-1698865232366.png

Top Tags