cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to finde the volumen between 2 Cylinders?

Polymerman
1-Newbie

How to finde the volumen between 2 Cylinders?

Hallo,

I would like to ask for your experience. I need to find the volume with triple integrals between 2 cylinders. They are not along the same axis.

To imagine how they are found, they form a cross, like this: +

The first one is an ordinary cylinder and it follows the form z= 3 sin (phi). This was really easy.

The second one is an elliptic cylinder. Here are starting the problems. The area of this second cylinder is given by x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2. For a = 2.6 and b= 3.0

But I just can transform this second one into cylindric coordinates and at the same time turn it 90° from the first cylinder to form this "+" cross.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The trick to the integration is to set the limits correctly.

I wouldn't bet lunch that this was right.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Here is a basic MAthCAD document... it is missing the main part =S

Is this what you mean about two cylinders?

If so, then we can move forward to develop the integral

Hi Fred

You´ve got it! Wow, yes it is like that. How would you start the integral?

Due to a some reason, I can not see the graphs...

No graphs.png

Thanks y lot!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Polymerman)

Right click on the graph and uncheck "border". Depending on your OS, that might fix it.

Hi Richard,

it fixed it!

Thanks!

It is getting more and more exiting. Now, how can be the volume found? It looks like you have the answer is almost there.

Hi Fred,

I have solved the problem in another way. But I am very interested in the way you are solving the problem. I would like to ask you if you could continue with it? It was really sophisticated and I would really like to see your answer.

Here is my version as well.

Thanks!

The trick to the integration is to set the limits correctly.

I wouldn't bet my lunch on anything

Mike

Thanks Fred,

I wouldn't bet my lunch as well... Sorry for not answering before. My Hard disk just died.

I think it is quite well, numerical approaches give a little smaller value, but it is ok. I need to learn more about MathCAD to fully understand that what you did.

Regards and thank all of you for helping.

Thanks Vladimir,

it was quite helpful, however, the definition of the function is still not perfect...

Top Tags