cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

IRRITATING BEHAVIOR

ppal
17-Peridot

IRRITATING BEHAVIOR

Every time I run Prime 8 it opens

PTC Mathcad Prime 8.0 | Mathcad

https://community.ptc.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/PTCMathcad

How do I stop it doing that?

I am currently on Express as we work out the licensing details. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DJNewman
17-Peridot
(To:ppal)

One of the new additions to Mathcad Express for Prime 8 is that start page, which will open every time you open Express. It's only for Express; it won't open for a paid licence and it also won't open for the 30-day trial portion. The only way to stop that is to buy a licence; same with the watermark.

For full disclosure, it was also my idea and request; this is the one time it'd be accurate to blame marketing for something.

(And if you'd like any of the content on the page to be changed, let me know.)

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@ppal wrote:

Every time I run Prime 8 it opens

PTC Mathcad Prime 8.0 | Mathcad

How do I stop it doing that?

I am currently on Express as we work out the licensing details. 

A just question, my liege. Early is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear

I thought it was just me doing something silly when I was opening it, so it's nice (in a bad way) to know that it's happening to somebody else.

I don't recall it happening during the trial period, but I didn't open it that often as I usually just left Mathcad Prime 8 open all the time ... maybe that's one answer - just don't close it.

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

It's as irritating, and is due to the same paradigm, as having to watch an ad before a Youtube item is played: You want something for free? Then you'll have to put up with our (PTC, ABC) attempts to have you spend some money...

If you want to do without:

- Don't use Prime 8 express, but use Prime 7 express instead. For an express user I don't see a difference in behaviour between 7 and 8.

- Buy a subscription to Prime 8.

Success!
Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:LucMeekes)

@LucMeekes wrote:

- Don't use Prime 8 express, but use Prime 7 express instead. For an express user I don't see a difference in behaviour between 7 and 8.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Range-arguments-are-partially-back-in-Mathcad-Prime-8/td-p/790489

2022 04 29 a.png

Stuart

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
DJNewman
17-Peridot

One of the new additions to Mathcad Express for Prime 8 is that start page, which will open every time you open Express. It's only for Express; it won't open for a paid licence and it also won't open for the 30-day trial portion. The only way to stop that is to buy a licence; same with the watermark.

For full disclosure, it was also my idea and request; this is the one time it'd be accurate to blame marketing for something.

(And if you'd like any of the content on the page to be changed, let me know.)

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
ppal
17-Peridot
(To:DJNewman)

Why "marketing" to someone who already has downloaded the software?

If it is any good and worth their while they will buy.

In the meantime you are just annoying people who have been using it for decades.

(And if you'd like any of the content on the page to be changed, let me know.) - Get rid of it.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I haven't seen that page yet  but I agree that overcrowding a free teaser with advertising and compulsions to buy usually does not lead to more sales but rather to the annoyance of potential customers.

That far too large annoying banner across every whole page would be more than enough for me to leave and say "thanks for nothing". Limiting functionality is OK but the rest is counterproductive IMHO, unless the company itself is not convinced of the quality of its product - OK, that may be the case because after all we are talking about the quite unsuccessful and failed Prime.

DJNewman
17-Peridot

The way PTC has set up Mathcad Express for years doesn't match industry best practices for how to offer a freemium product. That's something I'd like to change.

Basically what we've been doing is offering the free product and then not communicating to people ever again. That's not how freemium is supposed to work! You're supposed to often remind people to upgrade.

It has nothing to do with us not believing in the quality of Mathcad Prime. In fact, it's the exact opposite: Everyone on the Mathcad team believes that Mathcad Express is too good and has way too many features for a free product.

Anyway, we'll be closely observing the impact this has on Mathcad Express -> Mathcad Prime purchases and evaluate from there.

Top Tags