cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Install 2001i in Vista?

js2
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Install 2001i in Vista?

Has anyone been able to run Mathcad 2001i in the Vista operating system?
I get the message "you must unload your debugger before you can run this program"
I really don't have many programs on the machine (new vista home 64 bit)since it takes about 2 days to install an application.
But I digress.. any ideas would be appreciated.
js
18 REPLIES 18
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:js2)

I don't think you can. There are other threads about Vista, particularly from Steen, that cover the problems with Vista. It doesn't let the licence server part talk to the main programme ("security") so it never gets started.
Philip Oakley

On 9/21/2009 5:17:57 AM, philipoakley wrote:
>I don't think you can. There
>are other threads about Vista,
>particularly from Steen, that
>cover the problems with Vista.
>It doesn't let the licence
>server part talk to the main
>programme ("security") so it
>never gets started.

That shouldn't be a problem with 2001i though, because it wasn't activated. At least, I don't think it was. I am not certain of that, because I jumped from 2001 to 11.

Richard

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 9/20/2009 10:20:59 PM, js2 wrote:

>But I digress.. any ideas
>would be appreciated.

Upgrade to Windows 7?

Richard

IRstuff
3-Visitor

the results have been mixed. While some people report success in loading older versions onto Vista, others have had little success in that.

I was only able to load Studyworks onto Vista64 and Vista32, but nothing else. Windows7, at least the 32-bit version, appears to run M11 and Studyworks without any problems.

TTFN,
Eden
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:IRstuff)

Go with Richard's idea and install Windows 7. I heard they can "emulate" windows XP which should allow the older versions of Mathcad to run
SteenGroðe
6-Contributor

On 9/20/2009 10:20:59 PM, js2 wrote:
>Has anyone been able to run
>Mathcad 2001i in the Vista
>operating system?
>I get the message "you must
>unload your debugger before
>you can run this program"
>I really don't have many
>programs on the machine (new
>vista home 64 bit)since it
>takes about 2 days to install
>an application.
>But I digress.. any ideas
>would be appreciated.
>js

yes - as usual. The issue is the licencesystem, so this is what you have to deal with.

Steen Gro�e

Thanks all:

I am waiting for the Windows 7 upgrade. I hope, like hell, the XP emulation works..

I have disabled the sound card (some fixes from gamers), looked for amdfix.sys (not found), and tried bcddeit to disable debug (complete shot in the dark) all without success.. so I will wait for W7.

2001i was not key activated v13 is and I can't install that version either.

I'm a little irritated with PTC - not that $99 is unreasonable - but I have purchased 4 versions and 2001i and 13 are all I need. I can still buy parts for my 1983 F150, why can't we get a small tweak for a good program and generate a little customer satisfaction?

Thanks again all - js
IRstuff
3-Visitor

There would only be a need to run the emulation if you're running 64-bit W7.

TTFN,
Eden
ELSID
4-Participant

Please understand that Vista works differently than XP (Thank you Microsoft). People had heartache when we jumped from Win9X to the XP platform. The first version of Mathcad that was "coded" to be compatible with Vista is version 14.

What I am looking forward to is installation on my 64 bit OS 🙂

Try to install a virtual machine with a small windows 98, and then mathcad.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

Alvaro.

Alvaro:
Thank you for the link. My system is Vista 64-bit Home Edition (not supported by Virtual PC 2007). So, until W7 arrives I remain SOL.

Thanks again. For a moment (6 min 49 sec) I thought I had the answer.
js
AlvaroDíaz
9-Granite

On 10/9/2009 4:16:15 PM, js2 wrote:
>Alvaro: Thank you for the link. My system is Vista 64-bit Home Edition (not supported by Virtual PC 2007)...

In 32-bit platform Virtual PC installation say that "your system don't support..." but this isn't true. What want setup program is not a Home Edition, but a Proffesional one. In win 32 bit button Next is avaible, and with some other messages about the "incompatibility" you can continuing. But for the version for 64 bit actually I don't know if it is the case.

Also there are other programs: creators are from VMWare. Full program is trial, so, you can set up your virtual machine, uninstall this, and install the player which is free. But maybe is too much work for only one program.

Finally, you can try going into properties for the mathcad.exe program and disabling things like visual themes, desk composition and executing as administrator, all things are news for this version of mathcad, and sometimes helps in 64 bits architectures, within Executing in compatibility mode.

Regards. Alvaro.
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

JS2,
Have you tried another Virtual machine like virtual box (http://www.virtualbox.org/)? Go to their download page, they have a version for 64 bit machines ... and it's freeware 🙂

No knowledge can be certain if it is not based upon mathematics or upon some other
knowledge which is itself based upon the mathematical sciences. -- Leonardo da Vinci
js2
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ELSID)

ElSid and adiaz

I now have the windows 7 upgrade installed - HP and MSFT teamed to make the installation a little painful.

Sadly, I still have the message "you must unload your debugger to run this program"

I was hoping W7 would have a real XP emulation window - I believe it does not. W7 has only the compatibility modes settings.

After I struggle with W7 for a week or so I will return to the virtual machine idea - I appreciate the advice/links.

I believe someone in at Mathcad must know how to fix this problem. Come on boys (or Mona) give us a little help here.
AlvaroDíaz
9-Granite

On 11/5/2009 11:45:41 PM, js2 wrote:
>ElSid and adiaz ...

I don't know very well vista 7. The incorporated emulation system working toghether with the processor, there are features that can be enable/disable from the bios (support for true virtualization or something like this). There are an utility that you can download from intel or amd to know if your processor is "virtualizing" capable.

Or can try others emulators, there are a link in this thread.

BTW, what you actually needs is windows 98, not windows xp.

Regards. Alvaro.

Alvaro and all just to wrap this topic:

My machine, HP 6142, AMD phenom, realtek sound with Windows 7 upgrade installed, and running Mathcad in many compatibility modes produces this message:
"You must unload your debugger before you can run this program"

With help from this forum I installed the virtual box with Windows XP, --> I get a similar message in the virtual machine about unloading the debugger.

Since Mathcad 2001i runs on my old machine with XP; I conclude that something in the new machine interferes with the 2001i validation process.

As I understand it the upgrade to M14 does NOT include access to program error patches. That restriction is harsh to say the least (read 1899 messages on M14 bugs). What to do?

The forum is great - Mathsoft not so much.
js

js2
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I should have mentioned that the M14 trial download appears to run on the new machine. Thus my frustration with the NO SUPPORT "upgrade"
js
AlvaroDíaz
9-Granite

I can't help: I don't know windows 7 and only know few things about the implementation of virtualization under this environment.

I learn about new windows versions only as going needed, or after the second service pack it's avaible.

The routine for microsoft software is wait for the first service pack to have some stability, and the second to run well.

The new "microsoft xp mode" seems to have different features and requeriments that the old "microsoft virtual pc".

Also, this error message have not idea if came from windows 7, virtualization software, mathcad or flexim.

Good look. Alvaro.
Top Tags