cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Length of a sine curve

blckwtr
1-Newbie

Length of a sine curve

How do I calculate the length of a sine curve?
8 REPLIES 8

From the quicksheets:

Fred Kohlhepp
fkohlhepp@sikorsky.com

Yes, this can be done numerically.
I remember discussing the matter with a math teacher at the university, where we tried to solve it symbolically: the symbolic solution does not exis. (Or it has been found sometime over the past 30 years).

Success!

Luc

On 3/20/2009 5:39:21 PM, Luc_Meekes wrote:
>Yes, this can be done
>numerically.
>I remember discussing the
>matter with a math teacher at
>the university, where we tried
>to solve it symbolically: the
>symbolic solution does not
>exis. (Or it has been found
>sometime over the past 30
>years).
>
>Success!
>
>Luc

I don't understand Luc,

The arc length of a curve has an analytical definition for centuries. Do you mean that for sin(x) it fails analytically speaking for some mathematical reason ? Nice to know if you can confirm it is a conjecture, that I then missed to recollect.

jmG

Jean,

Stuart's exercise shows what I'm talking about; the problem we were facing back then:
While it is fairly easy to describe it in terms of an integral, the (primitive, "simple") function that describes the arc length of a sine curve is unknown.

Luc

On 3/22/2009 5:58:21 PM, Luc_Meekes wrote:
== Stuart's exercise shows what I'm talking about; the problem we were facing back then:
While it is fairly easy to describe it in terms of an integral, the (primitive, "simple") function that describes the arc length of a sine curve is unknown.

Interestingly, M14 doesn't give the expanded answer that M11 does. M11 expresses the result in terms of the Complete Elliptic Integral of the Second Kind. This is turn can be defined in terms of the Gauss Hypergeometric Function (fhyper in Mathcad).

Stuart

On 3/22/2009 5:58:21 PM, Luc_Meekes wrote:
>Jean,
>
>Stuart's exercise shows what
>I'm talking about; the problem
>we were facing back then:
>While it is fairly easy to
>describe it in terms of an
>integral, the (primitive,
>"simple") function that
>describes the arc length of a
>sine curve is unknown.
>
>Luc

Thanks Luc,

I will visit, and read again the long forgotten "Osculating circle".

Jean

Top Tags