cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Loading Mathcad 15 on Windows 8

ptc-4106046
1-Newbie

Loading Mathcad 15 on Windows 8

Hi,

I am a Mathcad 15 user with a fixed user license. I recently had to buy a new laptop that came with Windows 8. My previous computer ran under Vista. I need to move my license and Mathcad to the new Windows 8 machine. PTC support has sent me new license files for this and has been helpful, but I don't want to bug them anymore than I have to.

Has anyone out there been able to accomplish this? If so, I'd love to know how you did it. I don't know where to begin.

Thanks,

Dave

-

8 REPLIES 8

You got your new licence file from PTC, so whats the problem with Mathcad?

If you want to ask a question its better to open a dicussion rather than a blog.

Thanks for the note. OK. I am just a numbers guy, not familiar with licensing etc.

Yes, I have 2 license files (not sure which to use). I also have a Mathcad 15 CD. That’s all. I don’t know what to do with these.

My goal is to get Mathcad compatible with Windows 8 on a new machine. I guess I expected to be given a link that would allow me to download a W8 compatible version of Mathcad. Not sure if my vers 15 is W8 compatible.

I have gotten allot of help from EAC but support but I don’t want to bother them . The links sent with the license files are not helpful. When I try to load from the CD I get an error message that sends me to a MS download site

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19662

for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) but it is completely unclear to me which, if any, of the files they offer that  I need. Also, this version is not Windows 8 compatible.

Any advice?

As far as I know there is no Win8 compatible version of Mathcad, neither Mathcad15 nor Mathcad Prime. This of course does not mean, that Mathcad will not run under Win8

Mathcad 15 needs that very version of MSXML, so I guess you should install it - would take the msi-file. I see that neither Win7 nor Win8 are supported, but then, I have no experience with Win7 or Win8 as I still stick to WinXP.

So I would not hesitate to contact PTC support again, especially about the need of installing (older) MSXML and perhaps about a download link for the lastest maintainance release (if you are entitled to download).

Then I would open a discussion here (not a blog or document) as this will be followed by more collabs and you will get a better response from the community that way. Sure there are people out there who already successfully have installed MC under Win8.

No 3D-surface in Mathcad 15 on Windows 8.

I can solve this problem on Windows 7 but not on Windows 8

Valery-

I am sorry about the loss of 3D surfaces. But I am very encouraged that you were apparently able to load Mathcad 15 onto Windows 8. How did you do this? When I try to load from the CD, I get an error message asking me to load some MSXML JAVA files. I'm afraid to try that because it may gum up the works with my operating system. Did you encounter this error message? If so, what did you do?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave LeBlond wrote:

Valery-

I am sorry about the loss of 3D surfaces. But I am very encouraged that you were apparently able to load Mathcad 15 onto Windows 8. How did you do this? When I try to load from the CD, I get an error message asking me to load some MSXML JAVA files. I'm afraid to try that because it may gum up the works with my operating system. Did you encounter this error message? If so, what did you do?

Thanks,

Dave

I do not know it too - sorry!

I work on Win 8 with Prime and on Win 7 with 15.

Hi Dave,

Mathcad 15 requires the following pre-installed components from Microsoft:

• Microsoft.NET Framework® 3.5 or later.

• MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK (this exact version of MSXML is required).

• Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 or later.

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-192521-41671/Mathcad_15_Requirements.jpg

If you load the .msi file as requested it will work.  I think the installer still claims to be missing some files, but if you just let it finish it will actually work once you've used the license manager to install you new license file.

Top Tags