cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Location of reference file in Mathcad Prime 9

entec2
5-Regular Member

Location of reference file in Mathcad Prime 9

Is it possible to locate a reference file in the right margin of the document?  The intent is to utilize the reference information in calculations but not show as part of the printed document. 

An alternative seems to be including the reference file in a collapsed area; however, that results in a solid line across the page when printed.  If this is the best option to include but hide a reference file, is it possible to disable printing of this region?  Again, I'm not wanting this line visible when printing formal presentation documents.  In Mathcad 15, I could turn of the time line, date, etc. and then highlight the region with a light color that wasn't visible on the printed document.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:entec2)

Ah, I realize that I had misunderstood what you actually are looking for.

Unfortunately the answer is "no", as far as I am aware you can't hide the reference to included worksheets.

PTC has violated the whiteboard principle of Mathcad (being able to freely place elements) in various ways (another example is the look of the solve blocks). Either because it was easier for them to do so or maybe they did not fully understand that this principle is essential.

Guess you will have to wait for a future version of Prime with improved editing for collapsed areas, hoping they will allow to hide an area completely (or with just a small reference to it in the non-printable margin.

I experimented and succeeded to overlay the offending reference by a text field (of course the high light color should be chosen to be white)

Werner_E_0-1702339062697.png

but as soon as the text field loses the focus, the reference shines through 😞

Werner_E_1-1702339190198.png

Another idea which failed was to put the include reference inside a solve block (the method could be used to provide he guess values from another file). This worked and the solve block could be moved into the non-printed area, but the definitions in the included file only are valid within the solve block - so no solution again:-(
At least its not a general purpose solution. If the included worksheet is only used to return a few values, maybe base on values in the main sheet, this method can be made to work.

In the following example the referenced worksheet defines a:=123 and b:=a+c and it works as expected, using the value of c defined in the main sheet. The solve block could be moved to the right, out of the way, but there will be a gap between the definition of c and the evaluation of a.

Werner_E_0-1702340544454.png

But this method won't work if the referenced worksheet is supposed to provide a function, for example.

So I can't think of any all purpose workaround.

If possible you could collect all includes on the first page and start printing at the second but this may not be an option in many cases.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

In Prime whatever you put to the right of the page margin is not printed. Similar to the "Print single page width" option in Mathcad.

If I recall correctly being able to format the display of a collapsed area is an "improvement" of a future Prime version.
Not sure if we will also get back the ability to name areas.

But at the time being (Prime version 9) there is no way to hide a collapse region and/or exclude it from printing.

entec2
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Is there a procedure for placing or moving reference files to the right margin?  The default location is obviously in the document at a selected location.  However, is it possible to move or install this file in the margin of the document to prevent it from printing?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Ah, I realize that I had misunderstood what you actually are looking for.

Unfortunately the answer is "no", as far as I am aware you can't hide the reference to included worksheets.

PTC has violated the whiteboard principle of Mathcad (being able to freely place elements) in various ways (another example is the look of the solve blocks). Either because it was easier for them to do so or maybe they did not fully understand that this principle is essential.

Guess you will have to wait for a future version of Prime with improved editing for collapsed areas, hoping they will allow to hide an area completely (or with just a small reference to it in the non-printable margin.

I experimented and succeeded to overlay the offending reference by a text field (of course the high light color should be chosen to be white)

Werner_E_0-1702339062697.png

but as soon as the text field loses the focus, the reference shines through 😞

Werner_E_1-1702339190198.png

Another idea which failed was to put the include reference inside a solve block (the method could be used to provide he guess values from another file). This worked and the solve block could be moved into the non-printed area, but the definitions in the included file only are valid within the solve block - so no solution again:-(
At least its not a general purpose solution. If the included worksheet is only used to return a few values, maybe base on values in the main sheet, this method can be made to work.

In the following example the referenced worksheet defines a:=123 and b:=a+c and it works as expected, using the value of c defined in the main sheet. The solve block could be moved to the right, out of the way, but there will be a gap between the definition of c and the evaluation of a.

Werner_E_0-1702340544454.png

But this method won't work if the referenced worksheet is supposed to provide a function, for example.

So I can't think of any all purpose workaround.

If possible you could collect all includes on the first page and start printing at the second but this may not be an option in many cases.

entec2
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks again.  I appreciate your time and assistance.

Top Tags