cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Mathcad 13 in Windows 8?

rcastle
1-Newbie

Mathcad 13 in Windows 8?

Hello. I know there was a compatibility issue with W8 but was just wondering of that has been resolved? I would like to run my copy of MC13 on my laptop but have been forced to use older, MC2001 instead. Of course I can't open files created in MC13...

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:rcastle)

MC13 is an old version. Nothing has changed, and nothing will change in the future. Well, other than the fact that all support for it will end on April 1st next year: Important Mathcad Support Announcement. Since you will then no longer be able to get a license to run it, compatibility with Win8 will be a moot point.

Yeah, I know it is old, I bought it new :-). But it has been my favorite, though I have never tried v15.

Mathcad2001: I should always be able to use that one then, regardless of how greedy PTC gets? That is, there is no activation/license if I remember correctly?

Thanks.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I think you are right about 2001 not needing any activation. I still have my install disks for that version too . It's old enough that it may have a 16 bit installer though, in which case it will not be possible to install it on a 64 bit OS.

I have 64 bit Windows 8 on my HP laptop and 2001 installs and runs with no issues.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Nice! So it must have a 32 bit installer, which means it's good to go for years . At the current rate, it will be years before Prime is equivalent to or better than MC 2000, so that's good news.

At the current rate, it will be years before Prime is equivalent to or better than MC 2000

My guess is that it willl never be and its not intended by PTC that it will ever be. So better look for a replacement now and not later.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

It is intended by PTC (at least, some people in PTC) that it will have everything that MC15 has and more. The problem is the time frame rather than the intent that at some point in the (possibly very distant) future Prime will be equivalent to MC15.

Sure people at PTC would like to see Prime at the same level or higher as Mathcad. But the effort to get there was highly underestimated and it looks to me like PTC management is not willing to pay the price necessary to get Prime at that level. Probably their cost-benefit calculation told them that they will make more profit at the end if they aim at Creo users and not at long term Mathcad users.

Top Tags