cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Mathcad 13 on Windows 7 or Windows 8

ptc-5373727
1-Newbie

Mathcad 13 on Windows 7 or Windows 8

I have an old version of Mathcad 13, and was wondering if anyone uses this on Windows 7 or 8 platforms. I have searched the internet, and found that some people have been able to do it, but never got a concrete answer. System requirements show that Windows XP is the minimum, but I didn't understand if it works on Windows 7 or 8. I understand that this question may have been posted numerous times, but a little help is highly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-5373727)

If you have Windows 7 professional you can install a virtual XP machine. It will run in the virtual XP machine (I have it running that way).

But I can not directly install on 7 or 8? Could I do this with 8 too or just 7?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-5373727)

I didn't try very hard to install directly in Win 7. I only have MC13 installed for occasional use, so I just picked the easy path and installed it in XP mode. Installing XP mode is some work, but I also wanted MC11 installed, and that certainly cannot be made to work directly in Win7 64 bit, so I needed to install XP mode anyway.

XP mode is not supported in Win 8. MS created it for Win 7 professional as a way for people to migrate to a 64 bit OS, but I guess they decided that very few people would need to run legacy programs in Win 8, and they dropped it. You could install VMware, but it's not free and you would need a licensed version of XP to install within the VMware machine.

Thank you man. I guess I'll give it a shot!

Top Tags