cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Mathcad 15 64 Bit graphics issues

Jbryant61
4-Participant

Mathcad 15 64 Bit graphics issues

Having upgraded my 6 year old 32 Bit windows XP computer to a Windows 7 64 Bit, I immediately found that 3D plots do not work. Even those in the Mathcad tutorial.

I had a quick play and came across if you right click on the Mathcad 15 Icon on the desktop, select properties there is a compatiblity Tab. In here I tried running in compatibility mode for Windows XP with no effect. However when I selected the setting "Run in 256 colors" it works. However this is not practical as my desktop for other programs is horrible.

Has anyone else had such issues with 64 Bit windows 7?

Thanks

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That seems to be a quite old bug. Are you using the latest Mathcad 15 M020?

Reducing the number of colors is one trick read quite often here in the forum. While most of the time, it seems that changing from 32bit true color to 16 bit solved the problem (256 color sems a bit crude).

Unchecking the border seems to be another workaround - give it a try.

There are some threads about this bug, with some other tips, like messing around with video acceleration etc.

e.g.: http://communities.ptc.com/message/153226#153226

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

That seems to be a quite old bug. Are you using the latest Mathcad 15 M020?

Reducing the number of colors is one trick read quite often here in the forum. While most of the time, it seems that changing from 32bit true color to 16 bit solved the problem (256 color sems a bit crude).

Unchecking the border seems to be another workaround - give it a try.

There are some threads about this bug, with some other tips, like messing around with video acceleration etc.

e.g.: http://communities.ptc.com/message/153226#153226

Hope it helps.

Jbryant61
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Hi, yes Im using M020. Changing the screen from 32 bit true coloe to 16 cured the problem. Many thanks.

Jason

Jbryant61
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Turning the Border of in the graphic also worked without doing anything else to the graphics setup 🙂

Jason Bryant schrieb:

Turning the Border of in the graphic also worked without doing anything else to the graphics setup 🙂

So that seems to be the most disireable solution.

Nevertheless I wonder, why this old bug was not repaired with the current service release M020.

The Release notes for Mathcad 15 M020 said that The display issues had been addressed - it did not say solved. Some improvements have been made, but not complete.

An example of the problem can be found in the included E-book on image processing. About half way down the chapter on addition and measurement of noise there is a plot of the function corr . This does not display in Windows 7 with Aero enabled unless you either:

uncheck the Border on the graph (though the next time you open the e-book the problem is still there)

or go to 16 bit graphics (makes a mess of everything else)

or Turn off aero, either by selecting a Basic theme for display or by selecting "disable desktop composition" in the properties - compatibility characteristics of the desktop icon for Mathcad 15. This turns off Aero whilst Mathcad 15 is running but turns it back on afterwards.

Interestingly the same problem occurs under windows 8. The only option here sems to be removing the border since Windows 8 does not explicitly use Aero - so those options are not avaiable. Perhaps someone can find a way to achieve the same thing?

Top Tags