cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Mathcad 15 / Prime

sm�ller-2
11-Garnet

Mathcad 15 / Prime

Hey guys!

Im working on Mathcad 15 and i want to know when there is a usable version of Prime is coming out?

Is there a Mathcad 16 maybe coming? Or which version of Prime has the same features as Mathcad 15?

Im satisfied with mathcad 15 but im not satisfied with the office functionality. Is there an add on or package

which adds moore office to mathcad? (Content Page, better writing form)

The usability of Prime looks good to me but the mathematical stuff behind is not the mathcad i know.

Which real alternative out there is possible with an symbolic fomula input units and office functionality?

Best thx,

Stefan

5 REPLIES 5

See please

and

Im working on Mathcad 15 and i want to know when there is a usable version of Prime is coming out?

I remember having read that PTC promised that Prime 5 should have most (!!??) features of MC15, but I can't say if anybody here in this forum believes in that promise.

Prime 4 is said to be faster and should have some improvements concerning plots (which sure is necessary).

Is there a Mathcad 16 maybe coming? Or which version of Prime has the same features as Mathcad 15?

Mathcad 15 will be maintained at least up to when Prime 5 will see light, but there will be no new features implemented - just bug fixes or making the software fit for current operating systems. Therefore I don't expect a version 16.

Im satisfied with mathcad 15 but im not satisfied with the office functionality. Is there an add on or package

which adds moore office to mathcad? (Content Page, better writing form)

Adding better office functionality is a long standing wish but I fear we will never see that in Mathcad and maybe even never in Prime.

The usability of Prime looks good to me but the mathematical stuff behind is not the mathcad i know.

Concerning usability I disagree. Somebody here in this forum once wrote that using Prime is like using the software wearing a pair of boxing gloves and thats exactly the way I feel when I give Prime a try. Its slow (that is promised to be dealt with in Prime 4) and needs more keystroke, clicks etc. for almost anything than necessary and than we are used from Mathcad (input of matrices is an exception here, display of and scrolling through larger matrices is not). I don't expect this to be changed in future versions.

And as you may have noticed, Prime is lacking a lot of Mathcad's features.

Which real alternative out there is possible with an symbolic fomula input units and office functionality?

Have you tried Maple or Mathematica? Unit support in Mathcad is not as intuitive and none of the two will offer Mathcads whiteboard interface. But concerning symbolics both are way ahead of Mathcad.

WE

Stefan Müller wrote:

Hey guys!

Hi Stefan. Maybe you want to try http://smath.info/cloud/ . Homepage of the forum is: SMath Studio Forum

Best regards.

Alvaro.

Hmm

i still have up to now now very very special needed stuff.

I only need the automatic loadcase calculation (vectorised) and

i need to calculate a well defined case of a input matrix containing 1+ loadcases

and sometimes a numerical solution of an equation which cannot be solved analytical.

Most of the stuff i need is described with complicated formulas with a few input variables.

But containing only basic math. No differential equation or integral

The unitsystem in mathcad is very important for me.

I tryed smath. But in smath i have the big problem that i cannot read datas out of an excel file with "xlsm"

I only have makro excel files.

I know maple and mathematica too but writing an calculation report is not possible there and without an symbolic formula input

its nearly impossible to get the needed formulas without errors.

Additionally there is no whiteboard and MS Word functionality

Seems to be no real alternative :-(. Thats too bad but Smath is so far the best alternative.

There is a very active community !!!!!

Thx for your input !

Hi Stefan.

I'm living in the past: I'm a mathcad 11 user. And can say that's not the best option. For me is the best calculator that can have, without units I'm lost, and can't write a lot of parenthesis without making some kids errors. My old HP 41 C wasn't an alternative, but HP Prime, nor new TI aren't too. Also, I need to convince others that they are good results, or explain them, and maple or mathematica are not specially good doing that.

What problems do you have with mathcad 15 and office? Which word or excel integration was not work as expected? Maybe the script's experts in the community can help you making workarounds.

Here, there are lot of peoples waiting with expectation Prime 4, for which are promised a lot of lost functionality.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

Top Tags