cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Mathcad Prime 10 plots

HO_12
2-Guest

Mathcad Prime 10 plots

So, Prime 10 is imminent eh? The trumpeting has started and the new enhancements that are touted sound like a list of corrected bugs. Undoubtedly, there are some useful improvements but I fear that the big one is still missing. This big and very visible problem with all Prime versions to date is the very poor quality of the plots. Compared to the MC15 (of blessed memory) plots they are very primitive and limited and definitely not presentation quality. And for technical applications good plotting facilities are an absolute necessity. So, as it stands now, if you need some proper plots for, say, a presentation, then you have to export the data to Excel and try to make a plot there. For technical plots that's often not optimal and you may have to resort to a freeware or paid plotting package like Veusz or so for, say, decent polar plots. Well, that's irritating and cumbersome to say the least.

To improve plotting  facilities start with a look at the MC15 plots. They had their limitations too, but are still much better than the Prime attempts. Also look at MATLAB plotting features, very flexible. including useful cursor measurements (MC15 had that too, but was limited, I used that a lot, the Prime version is almost useless).

So, will Prime 10 have the long awaited and completely revamped plot features? Or do we have to wait for P11? It's a long wait.

All the best,

Hans

4 REPLIES 4

I don't use plots very often.  But when I do I am always frustrated at how primitive the options are.  If my variable name is anything long, than my variable on the right of the axis, and all the "forced" white space, takes up 1/3 of the 'precious' page width.  I know there are some options of repositioning the axis labels but it's not enough.  There needs to be floating labels and more options for the layout.  We need chart types that may have more setup complexity but that can do anything we can imagine, even 3D rendering.  That's what I am trying to sell--whatever I can imagine.

Thanks for the reply. It's always nice to know that you're not the only
one who has problems with something, in this case plots.

I agree. The 2D plots are akin to my highschool notebooks plots. At work, I use Mathcad Prime 9, and I export the data to plot with GNU Octave which is Matlab clone freely available. I only use Prime for simple calculations, for complicated mathematics or postprocessing of data I use Octave instead when at work, unless I am working from home, I use MC15 instead for which I have a perpetual single node licence on my private laptop. Hope my laptop never dies..... (already 10 years old).

A yes, old notebook with MC15 on a perpetual license eh? Same situation
here, so it's my fall-back option when I want to use an old MC15
worksheet because trying to convert from MC15 to MC Prime gives lots of
extra work with tydiing up afer conversion. And of course, the plots are
completely ruined. And for all this hassle we have to pay a yearly
subscription fee eh? WHat a business model.

Best regards,

Hans

Top Tags