cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Mathcad prime 9.0 crashes at execution

Serge.y.Fortin
4-Participant

Mathcad prime 9.0 crashes at execution

I wrote a small program to simulate astro dynamics.

The program crashes (program terminate and disappear from screen) when I increase the number of iterations and celestial bodies.

No error message!

Can someone help? I can share my program.

Thanks

Serge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here is the program attached. Make sure you disable auto calculation before opening the file.

There three variables highlighted in red with comments indicating the values you can try. there is more frequent crashes with high values for the Iteration variable. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Then, share the worksheet, and let's see.

Luc

There is two algo for computing a trajectory

PEFRL and LeapFrog (Highlighted in RED)

If I increase Iteration from 300 to 3000 (Highlighted in RED) the program is likely to crash.

If I remove (delete) one or the other of the algo the program does not crash.

I’m running windows 10 and I have a RTX 2080 graphic card in my computer.

Thanks for looking at this issue.

You need to go here: 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Mathcad-prime-9-0-crashes-at-execution/td-p/920562 

And attach your worksheet file.

Success! 

Luc

Here is the program attached. Make sure you disable auto calculation before opening the file.

There three variables highlighted in red with comments indicating the values you can try. there is more frequent crashes with high values for the Iteration variable. 

Thanks

There's no need to reply to people individually. Attaching once suffices. Anyway.

I've opened your file, and it shows your last calculation result, as is customary for Prime. No need to set autocalc off beforehand.

When I change the Delta_t from 3 days  to 1 day, it recalculates and gives an error message on the plots for position and velocity below

LucMeekes_0-1704104668913.png

The error message is:

LucMeekes_1-1704104699687.png

You've used the chart component, which is the probable cause for this error. The chart component is a third party component that is badly integrated into Prime. While it allows to set a grid, it does not handle units, which to my opinion is a no-go. You're using no grid, so in the attached copy, I've changed the chart components to native plots. (There are ways to plot a grid into native plots, see e.g. https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Bode-Plot-NaN-Complex-values-Error-and-Plot-Grid-Does-Not-Exist/m-p/830506/highlight/true#M203237 )

I've not experienced sudden crash of Prime at the combination of the following settings:

LucMeekes_2-1704106512675.png

LucMeekes_5-1704106571149.png

LucMeekes_4-1704106531402.png

Success!
Luc

When I change Delta_t to 1 day I don't get any error or crash.

The same applies when I set the values of the other variables to the one you named.

Werner_E_0-1704115256175.png

Werner_E_1-1704115309343.png

BUT ...  when I tried to save the sheet, I got a strange error message

Werner_E_2-1704115506390.png

Doing as advised (double clicking the left chart drawing) freezed Prime and made it inoperable for quite a while. Then after two minutes ore more  I noticed the chart window in the background popping up. But it was inoperable, too, and it took again a long time before I was able to  close that Chart UI. Closing it brought me back to Prime, but again no success in saving the sheet.

I did the same for the center Chart (velocity) - no success. As I could not be bothered wasting time doing so with the right chart (position), too, I deleted this chart and also the two charts at the top of the sheet. Again no success with saving the sheet.

Thanks Luc for looking at this case.

I replaced all charts by traces and no more crash for all combinations I made progressing in the project. Thanks also for the grid link. I just let you know that it works well only if the grid matches the data range.

Case resolved.

Serge Fortin

You can attach your worksheet here by using the following option:

Pic_1.png

Thanks

I still have issues with mathcad Prime 9 crashing all the time. It may be related to parameters inputs (highlighted in yellow on page 2 and page 8). Try different values. Sometime just editing makes the Mathcad crash without any message. I'm currently working on Mission to Moon on page 2. the result is shown in page 10. 

Thanks for your help.

Top Tags