cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Maximum array index in Mathcad Prime 3.1

mhertz
1-Newbie

Maximum array index in Mathcad Prime 3.1

Hi,

I'd like to know: what's the maximum array index in Mathcad Prime 3.1? Someone know about it?

I know that Excel 2013, for example, supports a maximum of 1.048.576 rows and 16.384 columns as a limit. And Mathcad Prime 3.1?

Thanks so much.

2 REPLIES 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:mhertz)

When I tried to assign 2^32-1 to array element 2^32-1 got a weird error, complaining about a value in excess of 10*307, but it didn't create the array element.

When defining A[(2^n-1):2^n-1, and increasing n, I get an error at n=31.

My conclusion is that the boundary lies somewhere between 2^30 and 2^31.

Trying to find it exactly is dangerous. My computer (Win7/64, 4GB) nearly crashed, due to memory insufficience....

Can you actually create a sheet with 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns and have 'em all filled with with data in Excel? that would mean 2^34 items, at least 4x as much as what I tried in Prime...

Success!
Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:mhertz)

What Luc says sounds right. The indicies are presumably held internally in long ints, so you have something a little less than 2,147,483,647 as the limit, or when you run out of memory, whichever comes first.

Top Tags